Big Axmouth United back to winning ways and move five points clear with Lords XI triumph
Axmouth United 3, Lords XI 2 Without a win in three games and still smarting from their first defeat of the season seven days before United sent second-in-the-table Lords XI back to Mid Devon with nothing to show from their visit.
Faced with prospect of losing top spot United made a bright start and in the early exchanges Asa Sandman forced a fine save from the keeper. However, the visitors scored first, seizing on a miss-placed pass. United responded well and when Sandman flicked on a corner, George Harwood head the hosts level.
After the break United were quick to take charge and Scott Dyer set up Christian Burridge to fire them back in front within minutes of the restart. Burridge then turned provider as he set up Jake Dack to put United 3-1 up.
The visitors refused to concede and powered back forcing United glovesman Brad Cross into a number of smart saves before scoring their second with two minutes of normal time remaining.
United though, were in no mood to surrender the three points and they closed the game out well.
You may also want to watch:
Boss Laurie Forino said: “That was much better. We were back to near our best in what was an entertaining and competitive game against a good side. I felt we needed the win to restore confidence after some disappointing recent performances and results. The lads responded well to last weeks defeat and did all I asked of them which was a great reaction and I hope we can carry this forward into the coming weeks.”
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 3 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 4 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 5 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 6 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 9 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 10 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre