Bowls club round-up
Axminster BC have got off to a spendid start to the new season with four victories in their first four matches, writes David Harris.
They started with a mixed friendly home win over Culm Vale (85-51) with a top rink of William Cook, Chris Hobbs, Marion Harris, and Brian Clark (23-11). The other winning rinks were Phil White, Cliff Bruckshaw, Ann Clayton and Margaret Crompton ((24-13), Joan Quick, John Chance, Chris Todd, and Pam Clark (24-16), and Ken Quick, Barbara Mowatt, David Harris and Lilian Lovatt (14-11).
Axminster beat Bridport in another mixed friendly (88-58) with Phil White, Cliff Bruckshaw, Ann Clayton and Brian Clark (28-12) leading the way!
Other winners were Gill Gait, Pam Hunter, Chris Hobbs and Bob Sherborne (27-15), William Cook, Alan Taylor, Lilian Lovatt and Pam Clark (18-17), and Les Monk, Pat Hicks, Frank Bridge and Margaret Crompton (15-14).
Ax then enjoyed success at home to Hemyock (78-62) with splendid efforts from Phil Bolwell, Chris Todd, Ann Clayton, and Brian Clark (39-7) and Phil White, Pam Hunter, and Bob Sherborne in their triples rink (16-12).
You may also want to watch:
In between these games the men started their Over 60's Devon League Season in great style with an excellent home win over Culm Vale (39-30) with a winning rink of Les Monk, David Harris, and Brian Clark (26-8).
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 7 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 8 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 9 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 10 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond