Broad stars for Honiton Town
- Credit: Archant
West Hill 3, Honiton Town 0 Honiton Town Under-15s, with only 11 fit players, were always up against it when facing a good West Hill side, writes Sim Taylor.
The early exchanges saw the home side denied with fine saves from Honiton glovesman James Broad. Further good defensive work from Michael Taylor and Conor Flanagan kept the scores level. Lochie Charlton and Elliot Forwell also thwarted further attacks from the home side.
A West Hill Corner was well defended by Conor Flanagan to prevent an opening goal. However, on 20 minutes the home side took the lead with a header from a well-flighted corner.
Tom Young with a good defending header helped Honiton gain a free-kick from which Jack Smith struck a fine shot just over the bar.
James Broad continued to make some excellent saves to deny the hosts whilst Conor Flanagan worked hard and Jack Smith made a decent attempt at goal during the first half of the game with some good centre midfield play involving Jack Smith and Conor Flanagan.
You may also want to watch:
Ethan Seymour and Conor Jennings combined well with Ethan Seymour shooting wide of the target. A half-time deficit of one-nil did not do justice to the Town first half performance.
Lochie Charlton and Tom Young continued to demonstrate determined defending in the second half. Play started to look up as Elliot Forwell and Jack Katene made a determined run on goal but to no avail.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert
- 10 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
The combined efforts of the four defenders from Honiton – Jacob Ambrose, Lochie Charlton, Michael Taylor and Tom Young together will the assured keeping of James Broad prevented West Hill from scoring until later in the game when two deflected goals gave the hosts a somewhat flattering 3-0 success.
Man of the match James Broad.