Budleigh bag last indoor bowls match of season victory over Devon Masonics
- Credit: Archant
The final friendly of the Budleigh indoor season was a two-rink mixed match versus the Devon Masonics.
It ended with both Budleigh rinks winning by identical scores, 33 shots to 13.
The teams could only be separated on the number of winning ends with Diane Dixon’s squad taking 14 to Ron Tyler’s 15!
The season came to a close with two fixtures celebrating the Budleigh Evening League. The final of the Les Thwaite Shield knockout competition featured Exonia and the Buzzards, who had earned their place with a 44 -27 victory over the Falcons. Although the Buzzards won on one rink, overall they were unable to withstand the might of Exonia, who added the shield to their league championship.
This left the presentation evening to bring down the curtain on an entertaining and successful season. With Paul Griffin presiding, the mini tournament was won on the final end by our friends from Sidmouth, lead by Ron Cook, after a close tussle with Bob Birch’s Madeira Blues. Competitors then enjoyed a superb buffet supper prepared by Dorothy McConville and Lilian Grainger, whose efforts were greatly appreciated. The cash prizes, generously provided by Symes, Robinson and Lee, the High Street Solicitors, were presented to the league’s top three teams and the Exonia representatives are commended for donating their prize to the Prostate Cancer charity.
You may also want to watch:
Second and third-placed Falcons and Hawks are pooling their awards to fund the purchase of a commemorative trophy for future league winners and an announcement will be made when details are finalised.
Should the current low temperatures continue, bowlers attending the first two official events on the April 20 and 22 will no doubt be discarding their sun cream in favour of hand-warmers and hip-flasks!
- 1 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 7 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Rugby on a rollercoaster of disruption
However, the indoor carpet has now been covered so there’s no going back. Dick Mitchell expresses his thanks to the fine body of volunteers who completed the work in good time.
Members are reminded that the ladies’ Indoor AGM will be held at 10am on April 11, with the men’s the following day.