Canny double as Dunkeswell edge out Churchinford
- Credit: Archant
Dunkeswell Rovers made a winning start to their 2020/21 pre-season campaign with a 3-2 home win over Churchinford.
In a closely contested opening period two well match sides created problems for each others defence, but the deadlock was eventually broken when Josh Cann scored to give the Dunks the lead.
It was 2-0 before the break as Steve Morris rifled the ball home from just outside the area with a strike that gave visiting glovesman Jake Welch no chance.
Early in the second half Josh Cann doubled his tally with a goal that owed much to some comical handling by the opposition glovesman.
Churchinford made it 3-1 with a superbly struck Jake Phillips free-kick and, with Dunks player Jay Williams ‘guesting’ for the visitors, it was his run that ended with a home defender turning the ball into their own net to make it 3-2.
You may also want to watch:
That set up a frenetic end to the game, but there were no further goals and Dunkeswell took the honours, albeit by the narrowest of margins.
The match was sponsored by Meads Builders and the match ball was sponsored by Westcountry Butchers.
- 1 Latest from the Devon Cricket League
- 2 East Budleigh 2nds 2-1 Millwey Rise
- 3 Podium return for Axe Valley Pedaller
- 4 Lions issue appeal for new members to help fundraising projects
- 5 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 6 East Devon Property of the Week
- 7 Bid to remove traveller site restriction rejected by councillors
- 8 When a waffle is good for your health
- 9 Family campaigns to fund flower barn at 'paradise' site
- 10 Litter pickers unite to launch blitz on untidy blackspots