Chard 2nd XV beaten by Somerton
- Credit: Getty Images/Comstock Images
Chard 2nd XV once again fielded a mixture of youngsters and vets for their Somerset Two (S) meeting with Somerton that saw them beaten 31-7.
Gavin Watts was skipper for the day after Brian Sugar was called into the 1st XV at the last minute.
Chard defended well in the opening quarter, but Somerton were a strong-looking side and went into a 12 point lead before the interval. Their lead could well have been more, but for some silly handling errors.
At the beginning of the second half Chard lost the influential Billy Brookes to the bin for ten minutes due to some uncharacteristic play and Somerton took full advantage of having an extra man and managed to double their lead during Brookes’ absence.
When he returned, Chard’s fortunes went up and Watts scored a fine try which was converted by Ieuan Watkins, 7-24.
You may also want to watch:
With plenty of replacements available, Somerton brought on lots of fresh legs and scored a late try to end comfortable winners.
On Saturday (March 24), Chard 2nd XV are away at Weston (2.30pm).
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Football in support of mental health
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
The Chard 3rd XV Friday night game was postponed due to an unplayable pitch surface. This Saturday, the third XV entertain Frome 3rd XV with the game at Crewkerne Road kicking off at 2.15pm.