Chard 2nd XV see off Martock
- Credit: Archant
Chard 2nd XV were 25-7 winners when they entertained Martock in a match switched to the drier conditions of the Crewkerne Road pitch, writes Glyn Hughes.
Martock arrived with only 10 players, but they were able to borrow the necessary number of players from their hosts so the game could go ahead.
The visitors began brightly and opened the scoring with an early converted try. However, once Chard settled into the game they began to dominate and, driven on by the vocal leadership of Brian Sugar, they scored unconverted tries from Murray Squire and Dave Tucker and trooped off at half-time with a 10-7 lead.
After the break, the Chard scrum looked solid, particularly with Mike Summers in the front row having a good game.
Further tries from Gavin Watts, Nathan Clapp and the evergreen Andy McKerrow ensured a bonus point win for the home side.
You may also want to watch:
This Saturday (March 17), Chard 2nd XV have a rearranged game against Somerton with the match being played on the Crewkerne Road ground (2.15pm).
Chard 3rd XV were awarded a walkover as schedule opponents Wells 3rd XVcould not raise a team.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 3 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 6 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 7 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 8 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 9 Riding through the lockdown restrictions
- 10 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
Subject to the condition of the club’s main pitch, Chard third XV will host Taunton third XV this Friday (March 16) in a floodlit game that kicks off at 7.30pm.
The reason for the Friday night scheduling is because the following day the Chard 1st XV have a re-arranged home league game against Sidmouth.