Chard and District Swimming Club mourn passing of former coach
- Credit: Archant
Chard and District Swimming Club also held their final Club Gala of 2015 recently, writes Mollie Simpson.
There were some terrific performances with a stunning total of 32 county qualifying times and 100 personal best times.
The Gala however, was tinged with sadness as the club’s president and former coach of twenty years John Farrant passed away suddenly in September, and club members old and new travelled to Chard Baptist Church last month to pay their respects in honouring John and his life, in a service of remembrance.
John had continued to help at galas since retiring, and his absence at the gala was very much felt.
In his honour, all the swimmers took part in a Mexican wave jump into the pool, and all proceeds from the raffle were donated to John’s chosen charity – St Margaret’s Hospice, Taunton.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on Chard and District swimming Club, visit www.chardswimming.org.uk
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 5 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 6 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 7 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 10 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott