Chard ladies beaten by impressive Bideford in league meeting
- Credit: Archant
Bideford ladies were 63-12 winners when they travelled to Somerset to face Chard in a league game, writes David Webb.
The highlight of the contest was the sparkling performance of the Bideford backs, who set the match alight, with a fine display of running rugby.
Chard began brightly, driving through the forwards and releasing the backs with Sarah Kneeshaw and Georgia Adams making telling breaks.
However, the Bideford defence stayed strong against the powerful Chard backs and gradually blunted the home attacks with determined tackling.
There was parity in the set pieces with the front row of Kirsty Carlos, Lucy Gosden and Emma Harris holding the strong Bideford scrum, and Kat Swain cleanly taking all line out ball on own throw.
You may also want to watch:
Bideford scored first with a try from centre Kayleigh Mcdonald and then right wing Gabby Hunkin crossed to extend the lead.
From the re-start Chard attacked, but turnover ball ended with a clinical counter attack and a try from number eight Amber Hallman, this despite a desperate cover tackle by full back Kerry Harris.
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
The second half saw even greater Bideford dominance, despite Chard enjoying more possession through their hard driving forwards, but Bideford seized on any errors and tries were scored at regular intervals.
Mcdonald scored three more and there was a second half hat-trick of tries for Sasha Nichall while the Bideford back of the match , full back Tia Hanson, also scored and three of the seven tries were converted by Hallman.
Once again Chard did not give up, with again forward charges creating spaces in the Bideford defence, with fly half Roach again crashing over for Chards second try , converted by Adams.
The spirit of the Chard ladies team showed through, with the tenacity of scrum half earning Amelia Gilbert back of the match, and Sarah Jones’s return to the team , forward of the match.
Despite the final score being Chard 12 Bideford 63, the home team spirits were high as they were simply beaten by a better team playing excellent attacking rugby.
This was all helped by a superb understated display by referee Dave Mealing.