Cligg brace as Offwell Rangers have 12 game unbeaten run ended
- Credit: Archant
Offwell Rangers saw their superb 12-match unbeaten run ended as they went down 5-3 at Central in a Fresha League Division Seven game.
Rangers started well and bossed the opening 20 minutes. However, as good as the approach play was, they were unable to make it count.
Typical of such a situation, the hosts struck with a rare counter-attack and swiftly doubled their lead before Liam Spiller set up Steve Curry to net and Rangers went into the break 2-1 down.
Early in the second half, Rangers player-manager Scott Phillips saw a long-range effort hit an upright before running along the goal line! Central then made it 3-1 with a slick counter and added another to seemingly seal the win. However, Rangers hit back with a terrific double from Tom Cligg. Pressing for the equaliser, Rangers were caught on the break and the home side wrapped up the points.
Rangers boss Phillips said: “We’ve been on a great run and been undefeated the last 12 games in all competitions and hadn’t lost in the league since September. Foe me now, it is all about how we react now. I want us to use this disappoint as a springboard to make sure we finish the season strongly. We knew it would be tough against top of the league opposition and the task was made all the tougher given we were without our goalkeeper. We were not far off them and I expect us to bounce back.”
You may also want to watch:
Tom Cligg was named Rangers’ Man of the Match. Next up for Phillips and his men is a Thursday night Carlisle Cup tie at Honiton Town before next Saturday’s league visit to Langdon.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 3 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 4 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 Football in support of mental health
- 8 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre