Colin Davis bags win at Dunkeswell.

PUBLISHED: 14:30 09 April 2013 | UPDATED: 14:30 09 April 2013

Glorious blue skies and bright sunshine greeted the 100 plus drivers contesting Round 2 of the Dunkeswell KRC championship and Round 1 of the 2013 Dragon Challenge at the superb Mansell Raceway last weekend.

With some massive grids across the classes it had all the promise of some close and competitive racing and it didn’t disappoint.

First out were the Rotax MiniMax class with Ryan Luscombe, the current club champion, quickly putting down a marker taking victory in heats one and three.

Scott Symons took the win in heat two with both drivers locking out the front row for the final. Luscombe battled hard but Symons managed to get ahead to take the flag and set the fastest lap with a 49.77.

Jonny Knight had a great final to finish in second and Luscombe was third some four seconds behind. Mixed in with the Mini Max grids were the Junior Blues and Callum Dew dominated to take all three heats and the final. Next out were the Cadets and with 30 drivers, it was good to see some mature racing. Ethan Ling continued his winning ways to take the flag in heats one and three with James Knight winning heat two.

Callum Bradshaw put in a string of strong results to secure second on the grid for the final next to pole man, Ling.

In a battle of IAME vs Honda, it was the new engine block on the block who took the honours as Bradshaw managed to edge ahead. Ling, put up a great fight but it was Bradshaw by less than two-tenths as they crossed the line. James Knight rounded off a strong weekend with third. The Junior Max grid was the first to produce three different heat winners with D Shephard, Toby Allen and James Moorcroft all taking wins. With Allen and Moorcroft on the front row for the final with Izaac Channing in third it was all set. Moorcroft got away well but suffered a mechanical issue on lap three that forced him to retire. Allen maximised on this to take the win by over three seconds to Rob Ellis with Channing doing his championship plans no harm by finishing in third. The Senior Max was another class that enjoyed three heat winners as Ashley Lewis dominated heat one with Josh Collings taking heat two and Gemma Batstone heat three. The grid for the final was too close to call with any of the top eight drivers in with chance. The drama unfolded on lap two after as some radiator fluid on the track caused a serious incident that red flagged the race. With several big names out of action for the restart it was left to James Clarkson to cement his standing at the top of the table by taking the win. A strong drive from Tyler Weedon secured him second place with John Pike coming through from 11th to take third. Last up were the Rotax 177 class and Colin Davis was on a mission taking all three heat wins. Stewart Baker was second in the first two heats but DNS’d heat three allowing Carl Watts to grab the points and secure second on the grid next to Davis for the final. With Baker starting from 14th he had it all to do but his experience and skill saw him scythe through the pack to get within less than two-tenths of Davis who took the flag. Baker was second and Watts some five seconds adrift in third.

A brilliant days racing supported by a superb marshal team and officials.

For more details go to

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald