Colyton crowned Futsal champions
- Credit: Archant
Colyton were crowned winners of a Futsal tournament organised by the East Devon Youth League.
The club entered three teams in the tournament that began before Christmas operating out of the Axe Valley Sports Hall.
Previously there had been a couple of rounds played before the semi-finals and final, held last weekend.
Colyton A won all their group games and faced Colyton B who lost once in the group stages in the first of the semi-finals.
The A side swiftly racked up a 3-0 lead, but the B team battled back to square things up at 3-3. However, the A side restored their lead and went on to win 5-3.
You may also want to watch:
In the second semi-final Colyton C team raced into a four goal lead before moving down a gear to comfortably bag a final berth. Matt Turner, playing a year up, scored one of the Colyton goals.
Colyton B defeated Lyme in the third and fourth place play-off with Harry Williams the stand-out player.
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Hourly weekday services resume on East Devon rail link
- 3 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 4 Have your say on future development of village
- 5 Mark thanks Scouts for helping in the battle to beat polio
- 6 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 7 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 End of online meetings leaves councils with a dilemma
- 10 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes
The final, between Colyton’s A and C sides was a closely contested affair. Goalkeeper Finley Cox was outstaying for the C side, but he was eventually beaten by a clinical lobbed shot from Giles Basson and that gave the A side a 1-0 half-time lead.
After the break Marcus Symonds levelled and the game looked set for a penalty shoot-out when Bradley Bolten scored what proved to be the winner for the C team.
Manager Craig Board said: “I am delighted with how each of the Colyton teams have played. For them to finish in the top three places speaks volumes for their efforts – and abilities! It was an excellent tournament and special thanks should go to the East Devon League Committee for putting this on.