Colyton drop points to visiting Clyst Valley

Colyton 3:3 Clyst Valley The Tanners dropped a couple of points as they shared six goals with the relegation threatened visitors.

Colyton finally managed to beat the weather on Saturday when they entertained Clyst Valley Reserves at the Memorial Playing Fields.

With their first team game called off in the morning Valley included three premier players in their starting eleven and had two more waiting in the wings.

It was however, the home team that began the brightest, creating some early chances with Cal Somers and Ian Gooding in particular causing real problems for the visitors whose robust defending also saw them pick up yellow cards for both central defenders.

Despite their early pressure the hosts failed to find the net and this proved their undoing as the visitors got a foothold in the game, mainly through midfielder Dave Fox, who was a thorn in the Tanner’s side all afternoon. Fox rifled in Valley’s first from 30-yards leaving keeper Reid rooted to the spot on 25 minutes. Another strike from similar distance 5 minutes later doubled the Exeter club’s lead, a score line they hardly warranted.

You may also want to watch:

Colyton gave themselves a lifeline on 44 minutes, a driving run down the left flank from Maddocks resulted in a great cross that was coolly finished by Gooding. Going in at the break just a goal down definitely changed the tone of manager Keith Somers’ team talk, asking for more bravery in attack, he was convinced the game was there for the taking.

As the home side pushed hard for the equaliser they were caught by the classic sucker punch on the hour, leaving them short at the back, Clyst extended their lead with a rare breakaway, punishing Colyton for not stepping out across their defensive line.

Most Read

The Tanner’s spirit is strong, and they reduced the deficit within two minutes as Wayne Waddon made a fantastic near post run at a corner to power home a header from George Moore’s pin point kick. This galvanised the team and they bombarded their opponents goal, forcing the keeper into several great saves, yet it seemed they would never grab the equaliser they so deserved.

Finally, a great piece of trickery from Gooding in the opposition box saw the already yellow carded centre backs combine to bring him down.

The only decision referee Steve Banks had to make was which player had committed the foul. Eventually he decided on the culprit showing him a second yellow, ending his afternoon five minutes early!

The calmest man on the pitch was Cal Somers who stepped up and stroked the ball home from 12-yards to gain parity.

A grand stand last five minutes would not bring the all important winner and at the final whistle the match ended in a 3-3 draw.

A special mention for the man in the middle, Steve Banks, who was outstanding from first whistle to last.

The Man of the Match award sponsored by the Colcombe Castle Inn was given to Ian Gooding who tormented the away side from start to finish.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus