Colyton slip to defeat against same Knights side they held seven days before!

JUST seven days after gaining a hugely respectable draw in Exeter, Colyton again locked horns with a Beacon Knights team sitting second in the Division Two table.

The hosts no doubt went in to the game knowing they were in for a tough afternoon after they had battled back from two down to score twice in the closing stages of the previous weeks game to take a point from the contest.

It was however Colyton who started the brighter, forcing the visitors to abandon their normal passing game for a more direct style.

The host’s tactic of pressing the ball at every opportunity worked well as Beacon Knights were pushed onto the back foot.

With ten minutes on the clock the first chance fell to Colyton’s Mike Gould who headed past the post when he looked destined to open the scoring. Gould and Jase Potter controlled midfield leaving George Moore freedom and space to pull the strings.

You may also want to watch:

A great through ball saw Cal Somers upended in the penalty box only for referee Roger Spray to wave away Colyton protests. Mr Spray again turned a blind eye as a Potter cross was taken off Maddocks head by a two handed punch from a Beacon Knights defender. The official later admitted he thought it was the goalie that had cleared the ball!

The classic sucker punch was dealt ten minutes before the break as an attack down the right finished with an inch perfect cross which was headed home by the opposing centre forward who found space between Coly’s centre halves. What could easily have been a three goal half-time lead was actually a one goal, deficit for Colyton to contemplate!

Most Read

The Tanners began the second period on the offensive as Potter rattled the crossbar from 25 yards with only 30 seconds on the clock. The match became a little scrappy after this, consisting of a few niggly fouls and the visitors picked up a couple of cards with some ‘tasty’ challenges. Coly kept their discipline but could not garner a clear chance, the heavy work rate earlier taking its toll as they began to run out of ideas.

As in the first half Colyton were again caught on the break, this time a delicious through ball saw the Knights number nine sprint away to slot home the visitors second and seal the points.

Colyton’s Keith Somers said: “The final score was not a true reflection on the match, although we created few opportunities we did enough to take something from the game. They (Knights) scored fro their only two real attacks of the 90 minutes – it’s a cruel game when you are sitting at the wrong end of the table!”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus