Cuckoo flies to victory in latest Beer luggers race
- Credit: Archant
Five luggers took part in last Tuesday’s race. They launched onto a light southerly breeze and a calm sea.
Because of the wind conditions the race was two rounds of a shorter course.
The Percy Mitchell and Cuckoo led the way from the starting line.
Moondance and Katherine made a tack shorewards, The rest of the fleet sailed seawards hoping for more wind out there.
First lugger to the windward mark was the Percy Mitchell closely followed by Cuckoo with Moondance away in third place.
You may also want to watch:
Sailing towards the home buoy the Percy Mitchell held a slight lead from Cuckoo.
As the race progressed to the windward mark for the second round of the race, the Cuckoo overhauled the Percy Mitchell.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 5 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 6 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
By this time the wind gradually became less and less. This left the luggers just drifting along.
Cuckoo managed to reach the windward mark well ahead of the Percy Mitchell.
Running into the home buoy the race officer, because of the lack of wind, decided to shorten the race.
This left the Cuckoo well in front of the rest and crossed the finishing line with time to spare.
Result of the Race: 1. Cuckoo (G Dart); 2. Percy Mitchell (K Gosling); 3. Moondance (G Pook); 4. Puffin (R Driver); 5. Katherine (T Touman).