Daniels delights as Axminster Town win well
- Credit: Archant
Axminster Town claimed a sixth win of the South West Peninsula League Eastern Division season thanks to a 2-0 Tiger Way win over Appledore.
The Tigers made an ideal start to the contest, scoring from a third minute corner with Sam Dibling getting on the end of a well-flighted Gary Spiller delivery.
The individual star of the show in what was a fine all-round Tigers performance was 18-year-old Aaron Daniels, who was a thorn in the visitor’s side all afternoon.
The only surprise about the second goal was that it took 31 minutes after the opener to arrive, such was the dominance enjoyed by the Tigers. It was Daniels who score the goal with the assist down to Dibling.
In the second half both sides were reduced to 10 men with the brandishing of red cards to Appledore’s Joe Barker and Town’s Mark Smale.
You may also want to watch:
It was the visiting side that seemed to draw the greater energy from being down to 10 and they finished the game strongly, but could, not find a way past the impressive Scott Wells-Burr in the home goal.
The win sees Town sitting 10th in the 17 team Eastern Division and seems to suggest the recent losing run – Town lost three in succession before a midweek 3-3 draw at Sidmouth Town – is over and, on Saturday (November 25) the Tigers are again up against North Devon opposition when they travel to Ilfracombe.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery