Daniels nets as Tigers bank midweek point at St Martins
- Credit: Archant
Axminster Town bounced back from their narrow defeat at Torridgeside on Saturday to share the spoils in an entertaining midweek encounter at St Martins.
Aaron Daniels netted the goal that earned the Tigers a point, applying clinical finish after being played in by a superb through-ball by Tony Pinder.
Indeed, it might have got even better for the Tigers and another good away following had they been awarded the penalty they felt they should have been given when flying winger Luke Finn was felled in the area, but the match official waved away vociferous appeals for a spot kick!
Town joint boss Josh Stunell said: “We played well and actually were left feeling a little disappointed that we did not get all three points.
“We played with confidence and moved the ball about well and the real plus for us is that we quickly got the Torridgeside reversal out of our system and went head to head with a good strong, typically resilient St Martins side that most team swill find it hard to defeat on their own ground.”
You may also want to watch:
As for the individual performances that caught the eye. Stunell again had praise for his fellow joint-manager Johnny Hurford.
Stunell; said: “Johnny was again superb. We got another 90 minutes out of him and he really did sparkle in the holding midfield role, dictating play all around him from first whistle to last.”
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 3 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 4 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 9 The US Open: part two
- 10 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
On Saturday the Tigers entertain Newton Abbot Spurs at Tiger Way (3pm) and then they visit Honiton Town next Wednesday (August 29) before a September 1 meeting with much-fancied Elmore at Tiger Way.