Davey leads Honiton runners home at Dawlish Coasters’ Oh My Obelisk race
Several Honiton Running Club members travelled to Dawlish Leisure Centre last Sunday to take part in Dawlish Coasters’ Oh My Obelisk race, writes Judy Davey.
This was advertised as an 11-mile race which includes plenty of mud and hills too. It was in fact more like eleven-and-a-half miles due to a slight route change avoiding a fallen tree!
The route follows green lanes, forest tracks, country lanes and fields and takes runners up to Haldon Forest and back circling the Obelisk. Despite a sore foot, Steve Davey led Honiton back coming 46th in one hour 34 minutes and 58 seconds.
Steve Selley has been training for this event and was rewarded with a great run coming 65th in 1:38:11. He led the next sixniton runners back who all finished within four minuees of each other. Bruce Strawbridge was next, coming 75th in 1:39:22 followed by Howard Bidmead who was 81st just 36 seconds later.
Judy Davey was the sole Honiton lady and was next back in 90th place in 1:40:42. Judy had overtaken Rod Inglis with less than a mile to go after he ran out of steam and he finished 95th 1:41:47.
You may also want to watch:
Rod was in Mark Dallyn’s sights and he was catching him quickly but the race wasn’t quite long enough meaning Mark finished five places and just seven seconds later. Tony Whiteley completed the Honiton line-up having completed a gutsy race putting on his racing shoes for the first time in a while. Some runners were lucky enough to see the Obelisk but many didn’t even though they were looking for it! Not to worry, there’s always next year!
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert