Devon and Somerset Gliding Club Open Day
- Credit: Archant
The Devon and Somerset Gliding Club is the largest gliding club in the South West and has enabled its members to enjoy the magic of gliding for over 60 years, writes Jill Harmer.
The club has a modern fleet of club gliders, good club facilities and a team of British Gliding Association (BGA) qualified instructors, who provide training to help new members to learn to fly in the skies above the stunning East Devon countryside.
The final Saturday of April (28), sees the club open to members of the public. For just £40, you will have the opportunity to experience this amazing sport first hand without having to pre-book.
You will fly with one of the qualified instructors from a winch launch for up to 15 minutes, and will even be able to take the controls.
The club is based at North Hill airfield on the Blackdown Hills between Honiton and Cullompton where they provide training to members in a modern fleet of two-seater gliders.
You may also want to watch:
Once solo, members can fly one of the club’s single seat gliders. The club also offer launches by winch, and by aerotow using our own Piper Pawnee towplane. Gliding spans all age groups and current club members are drawn from a variety of backgrounds across the South West.
The club welcomes members of all ages, young people can fly solo from the age of 14, and there is no upper age limit.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 6 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 7 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 8 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
The club has an extensive team of experienced, fully qualified BGA instructors to take members through from their very first flight to their first solo and beyond. The club has been a BGA accredited Junior Gliding Centre for several years and has a thriving Junior membership.
The clubhouse will be open, with hot and cold drinks, snacks and light meals available. This is usually a very popular event and many people enjoy their first flight in a glider.
A contribution from each flight will be donated to the Devon Air Ambulance Trust from the proceeds of the event.
Devon and Somerset Gliding Club is a non-profit making club, run by and on behalf of its members. Gliding is an affordable, challenging and exciting sport for all. For more information visit www.dsgc.co.uk