Flying high at gliding cross-country weekend
- Credit: Archant
It was a great cross-country weekend at Devon & Somerset Gliding Club writes Jill Harmer.
On Saturday, the North Hill pundits went soaring into Cornwall and Dorset with six flights of 307kms to Launceston and Gillingham completed.
Fastest round was Phil Morrison from Exmouth and Nick Jones from Hemyock in their Duo Discus at 82 kph.
Ron Johns mentored Andy Davey in the ASH25 and Simon Minson mentored Paul Summers in the club's DG505.
Sunday's conditions were not quite as good, but some good sea breeze convergences made up for it with Devon weather proving better than Cornwall this time, and there was more cross-country coaching in the two-seaters taking place.
You may also want to watch:
Congratulations to Martin Woolner, who has successfully completed his NPPL SLMG with Ian Mitchell in the Rotax Falke.
In Tesco's car park, there was great interest from the Sunday shoppers with a glider publicising our open day next Saturday, May 11, at North Hill when the club will be open to members of the public.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 5 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 6 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
For just £40, you will have the opportunity to experience this amazing sport first hand without having to pre-book. You will fly with one of our qualified instructors from a winch launch for up to 15 minutes and will even be able to take the controls.
Would you like to give gliding a go? Then you can try the sport out with a trial flight.
Find out more about our open day, trial lessons and indeed, all things Devon and Somerset Gliding Club, by visiting www.dsgc.co.uk