Devon Petanque Triples Plate joy for Honiton trio
- Credit: Archant
The first regional championship of the season for Devon Petanque was the Triples event, and it was played under recent hot conditions at the Isca Centre, Exeter, involving a very strong field.
The Honiton triple of Chris Bigmore, Charlie O’Reilly and Jenny Lavender were successful in winning the Plate competition, bringing home the first ever silverware in the club’s three year existence.
They beat a combined triple 13-5 in the final. Earlier in the day the Honiton trio had struggled to find form in the group stages, but stormed through the knockout phase - including a fine 13-9 semi final win over a strong triple from the host club.
Trophies were presented by the Devon Petanque president Ged Barton, this after a full day’s play was finally completed in the early evening.
Following the triples tournament hopes were high for a good showing at the Charity Shield hosted by Ottery St Mary, the first open doubles event of the season. Unfortunately, all three Honiton pairs entered in a 20 team strong field struggled in the group phase, before early exits when the knockouts began.
You may also want to watch:
And a quick return days later to the Isca Centre for a Devon League match saw the club side suffer further disappointment when they went down 4-1.
The host club, who are currently top the league, inflicted Honiton’s heaviest defeat of the season in a tough encounter.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 5 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 6 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 7 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 8 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
The only score coming from Jenny Lavender and Cecily Young who won their doubles game 13-10.
Up next in terms of league action for Honiton is a home fixture against previous leaders and local rivals Ottery St Mary.