Dunkeswell Bowling Club needs new members.
- Credit: Archant
There was a respectable turnout for the recent Dunkeswell Bowls Club Open Day, writes Steve Birley.
However, the club remain desperately low on numbers and new members are still being actively sought.
Tom Williams says: “Our green is synthetic and therefore needs less effort than is required for playing on grass. We really are short on numbers and I’d urge anyone who feels they’d like to come along and get involved with us to do so. Bowls is a very straight forward game and all abilities can be catered for within the sport. We are a friendly bunch at Dunkeswell, but would just like to welcome a few more members!”
In terms of recent action the team took 16 players to Ottery St Mary for a four mixed rink meeting.
Williams says: “It was a lovely sunny afternoon and the match was enjoyed very much by one and all. We had a good tea and socialised with drinks at the end from their newly positioned bar!”
You may also want to watch:
Sadly the result did not go the way of the visitors as Ottery won by a margin of 36 shots.
However, there was better news from an afternoon meeting with Wellington that saw Dunkeswell secure a 56-44 victory. The best of the rinks for the Dunks was the one of; Ron Mogford, Dan Power, Jose Williams and Richard Morris who won 21-12.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 4 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 7 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
The club’s Over-60s team did well and banked six points from a home meeting with Seaton B.
Here the winning Dunkeswell rink comprised Ron Mogford, Mike Critchly and Tom Williams.
The team then secured seven points away at Exonia C.
Anyone looking to join an East Devon bowls club can learn much more about Dunkeswell BC by calling Tom Williams on 01404 891799.