Even quiz losers win prizes at Axe Cliff
Even losers at Axe Cliff win prizes. Axe Cliff started the winter with their first quiz, it was well supported, with 16 teams of four and four prizes were awarded and even the losers did not go home empty handed, writes Helen Gaudie. It was a good evening - lovely, noisy atmosphere in the club house and, of course, a wide range of interesting and challenging questions with a tie-break question needed to separate the top two who both scored 93 out of a possible 120.
The main club competed this Sunday for the Dart and Hazlewood Cups, which are two board competitions for each division.
Winner of division one winning the Hazlewood Cup was Theo Boalch with a nett 68 and in second place was Nigel Pritchard with a nett 69.
The winner of the second division and the Dart Cup was Tim Vincent with an amazing nett 61 and second place went to Andy Gab with a very respectable net 65.
The ladies played a medal competition on Wednesday in very sunny and calm conditions.
You may also want to watch:
The winner was Liz Wheeldon with a nett a 77, second place went o the Captain Pat Ayshford with a 79, poor Chris Drew was third losing to Pat on the back nine ruling she also had a nett 79.
Last Friday the Seniors took part in a three man Bowmaker Stableford for the Silver Salver. Only one score is recorded per team over the first six holes, two from the next six and all three from the final holes.
- 1 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 2 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 5 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 10 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
This year's winners, Brian Wilkes (13), Roger Wright (21) and Don Lee (27) improved on last year's winning score by two points with a very impressive total of 81 points. In second place with 76 points were Tony Strong (9), Peter Knighting (15) and Rob Grove (16) with 3rd place going to Chris Walker (13), Nick Stanton (23) and Tony Horton (25) on 75 points.
On Monday, the team travelled to Wheathill for the final inter-club match of the season.
In contrast to the gloomy weather forecast, playing conditions were well nigh perfect and despite a 4 1/2. v 2 1/2 defeat, an excellent match was enjoyed by all concerned.
The two winning pairings for Axe Cliff were Peter Knighting/ Tony Strong and Jack Bannister/ Morrison Brown.
The half point was won by Chris Walker/Rob Grove. As Axe Cliff had won the earlier encounter at Seaton, honours could be considered even over the two matches.