Feniton Falcons' best yet

FENITON Falcons put in their best EDYL performance of the season but it was to no avail against top of the table Lyme Regis, who won 4-2.

FENITON?Falcons put in their best EDYL performance of the season but it was to no avail against top of the table Lyme Regis, who won 4-2, writes Ian Jeacock.

Lyme opened the scoring inside 10 minutes, the ball deflecting in from a corner. Lyme quickly added another before Ben Cathcart smashed in Feniton's first. Lyme extended their lead with a good goal on the break before half time. In the second half, great goalkeeping from Man of the Match Joe Button kept Feniton in the game, but Lyme's pressure eventually told and they scored their fourth. Feniton's Adam Tomkins scored a consolation for the home side just before the end.

Lucas Barribal and Alister Forsyth both scored early in this keenly contested match league match at Sector Lane which saw Honiton U11s beat Axminster 2-1 writes Jane Barribal. Honiton had beaten Axminster comfortably earlier in the season and arrived for the return match full of confidence. Sure enough, in the fifth minute, a good weaving run down the left by Forsyth saw the ball passed to Blake Freemantle. He delivered a great cross into the box, which Barribal collected, controlled and picked his spot to make it 1-0 Honiton.

Eight minutes later and Forsyth made a good run on the left, cut inside and lobbed the keeper for 2-0.

You may also want to watch:

Axminster soon began to create chances of their own. A series of corners and shots saw some resolute defending by both Matthew Ayres and Ashley Munt clearing off the line. Goal keeper Ashleigh Smith made two fine saves to deny Axminster the goal they were looking for and Honiton hung on to go in at the break 2-0.

The second half set off at a blistering pace. An early corner by Freemantle saw a Honiton effort cleared off the line. But Axminster started to press forward with shots of their own. Honiton worked tirelessly to try and get the ball out, but succumbed eventually when a great solo run, by Axminster number 7 Matthew Vincent, finally went past two defenders to score.

Most Read

Forsyth, substituted at half time, was put back on to add to the Honiton attack. He set up Ben Nursey, in his first game for Honiton, but his shot went just wide. Then he laid the ball back for Munt to shoot from 25 yards only to see his effort saved. Freemantle had another great chance to score, but the determined Axminster keeper stood firm. This was a superb game of football and credit should go to all players on both sides for making it so.

Honiton Man of the Match was Robert Tucker.

EDY League games between Honiton town U12s and Alphington U12s are always entertaining and Saturday's renewal at St Rita's proved no exception, writes Nigel Doe. Following an immaculately observed minute's silence, both teams started brightly.

Alphington just edged the early exchanges but Honiton took the lead when Neil Parris found himself in space on the left, rounded the keeper and scored.

Alphington's equaliser came from a long range effort that was still rising as it hit the net. Both teams had chances to take the lead and both goalkeepers were forced to make good saves, as play flowed from end to end. Owen McCreadie-Taylor put Town ahead once more, with a great shot from wide on the left. Before half time, Alphington equalised.

McCreadie-Taylor added his second after the break. Alphington levelled the scores at 3-3. McCreadie-Taylor completed his hat-trick, but still the visitors hit back, 4-4. Honiton grabbed all three points when Parris scored his second and Ben Facey hit a screamer after a good run down the left.

Both managers thought a draw would have been fair and both agreed that full-size goals for this age group are too big and do little to aid goalkeeper's development.

Man of the Match: Owen McCreadie-Taylor.

UPLYME won their Under-15 Devon FA County Cup second round match against Dartmouth AFC 6-4 after extra time.

Uplyme started well but Dartmouth broke forward in the 15th minute and brought out the Uplyme keeper, Brett James, who, whilst bravely diving on the ball, received a knock on the head which took him out of most of the game. He was replaced in goal by James Dunford (in his debut match). After a further quarter of an hour of balanced play it was Dartmouth who, after a couple of minutes of intense attack, scored. Uplyme retaliated, but Dartmouth scored again in the 35th minute. Just before half time, Anthony Simes lobbed the ball over the Dartmouth goalkeeper for a respectable 2-1 half time score.

The second half saw Sam Jones, Uplyme's captain, even up the score almost immediately. After this initial flurry the game settled to an evenly balanced struggle.

Uplyme's keeper and backs defended hard with notably Matt Pile and Callum Taylor putting their heads to good use. After 10 minutes, Dartmouth smuggled the ball into the net from a very busy goalmouth to retake the lead. Uplyme fired themselves up and were rewarded with an equaliser - Jones again from a good cross from Pile. Five minutes later Uplyme got ahead again, thanks to Jones, but Dartmouth took the score to 4-4 after 80 minutes.

In the first period of extra time both teams attacked hard but both defences equalled their effort and no goals resulted. In the second period of extra time Uplyme's forwards, assisted by James (the keeper earlier taken off due to injury), rekindled their fire - after two minutes Pile screamed down the left to score and five minutes later Jones put away his fourth goal to give Uplyme a two goal advantage at the end of the game.

Uplyme's Man of the Match was Sam Jones. Their next match is home to Chard Town, Sunday, Nov 22 2.30pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus