Feniton’s fourth win of the season

Feniton struggled their way to a fourth win of the season against a weakened but determined West Hill team. Tom Gurney opened the scoring in the second minute with a long range effort that looped over the stranded West Hill keeper.

Feniton struggled their way to a fourth win of the season against a weakened but determined West Hill team.

Tom Gurney opened the scoring in the second minute with a long range effort that looped over the stranded West Hill keeper.

Feniton continued to press, going downhill, but weren't playing the passing football that had served them well this season.

After 15 minutes, Joe Titmuss popped up at the far post to double Feniton's lead with a crisp finish into the roof of the net.

You may also want to watch:

Feniton's third was delayed by an interesting refereeing decision. Jack Lovegrove's shot hit the back of the net for his first goal of the season; however, the referee decided that on the way into the net, it struck a West Hill hand and awarded a penalty. To the bewilderment of the away supporters, the referee then failed to dismiss the culprit for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Feniton compounded the error by missing the penalty!

Most Read

Soon after, Tom Gurney was on the end of a perfect Josh Tree cross to confirm the three goal lead.

West Hill, to their credit, never gave up and, with James Mattin at the heart of most of their good work, got a goal back. A shot from the left beat the keeper, came back off the post and, after a minor scramble, the ball ended up in the back of the Feniton net.

The second half started with Feniton looking a bit more lively, but when an excellent Josh Tree effort made the score 4-1, they thought their work was done.

West Hill soon put them right as they ran straight through the Feniton defence from the kick off for James Mattin to bring the deficit back to two goals. As the rain appeared late in the second half the game descended into a scrappy battle with few clear-cut chances. Feniton remain fifth in the table but credit must go to all of the West Hill team who never stopped battling.


Feniton U9s 1,

Feniton Falcons U10s 7

East Devon Youth League

Feniton U9s fought bravely in their first match in the U10s league but found their older club-mates too hot to handle on a windy day at Acland Park.

The Falcons dominated the first half with Feniton striker Ben Cathcart scoring five before half time.

In the second half, the U9s came more into the game, showing some good touches, but they couldn't prevent Cathcart from scoring again and Adam Tomkins rifling one in from long range.

The U9s ended on a high note when Ben Titmuss scored an excellent goal, shooting across the keeper into the bottom corner.

Falcons' Man-of-the-Match was, unsurprisingly, Ben Cathcart for an excellent double hat-trick.


Honiton u9s v Central United (0-1) and City (0-12)

United won an even contest.

Captain Kelsey Pulman was Honiton's Man-of-the-Match but they were unable to turn their possession in to goal attempts.

Joel Trim and Danny Ruel stood out in defence, as did Luke Ward in goal, writes Warren Matthews.

Owen Fisher and Luke Barber made contributions to be proud of. The second game was closely fought until two strikes within a minute made it 3-0.

City then took control and it ended in a very one-sided contest.


Feniton Reserves 2, Woodbury 4

Woodbury played well to secure a fine win at Feniton, writes Will Bennett.

Boosted by the return to the side of Alex Hughes and Andy Bennett, Woodbury scored first when a cross- cum-shot by Mike Rayson floated into the far corner.

Feniton equalised but Woodbury retook the lead when Ian Locke scored with a header from a cross by Casey Bishop.

In the second half, Woodbury went further ahead when Feniton failed to clear their lines after a corner kick and Andy Bennett scored with a shot from 12 yards.

Feniton pulled a goal back when Will Bennett scored an own goal but Woodbury sealed the game and all three points when Locke again scored with a header from a corner taken by Woodbury's Man of the Match Olly Bishop.


Beacon Knights 4, Honiton Tn Res 0

Honiton's bright start to the season is over, as they crashed to their second consecutive defeat, away to a competitive Beacon Knights side in Division7, writes Nigel Doe.

It seems a long time ago since Honiton were playing open, flowing football and they have not won a league game since early October.

Beacon set the tempo for this game from the off, as they tore into tackles, never allowing Honiton time to settle.

Beacon took the lead after 37 minutes and doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time.

For 10 minutes after the interval, they were the better side and forced a number of good saves from the home keeper. Alas, it was not to last and once again Beacon raised their game and completely dominated, winning the 50/50 challenges far too easily. They added two more goals before the end to run out easy winners. Honiton will need to dig deep as league leaders Dawlish visit Mountbatten Park on Saturday.

By Robert Brown


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus