Feniton skipper looking to give opportunities to 2nd XI players
- Credit: Archant
There’s a feeling of ‘new beginnings’ on and off the square for Feniton Cricket Club.
The club will be playing on a new pitch complete with new square – they have ‘moved up’ from the lower area of Acland Park and will be playing on the new ground from matchday one.
First XI skipper Jon French says: “It’s all very positive at the start of this season. We have seen a really terrific effort from all quarters to get the new ground ready and Francis [Pyle] has worked tirelessly to get the new pavilion sorted and ready for the first game.”
As for the club’s aspirations, French says: “We are going into the campaign targeting promotion, but, of equal importance is that we continue to give opportunities in the 1st XI to players who did so well last year in the title winning 2nd XI.”
He continued: “I feel very strongly that we need to offer cricket at 1st team level to lads who have gone into the 2nds, produced the goods and so have deserved a chance at a higher level. That’s how I started as a 15-year-old and I noticed at a pre-season youth net, the club have a number of 15 and 16-year-olds coming through the ranks and, as a village side, it’s important we give them the opportunity to develop their game at whatever level suits them.”
You may also want to watch:
On players in and out, the skipper says: “We have no particular incomings and not lost any players either, so we are hopeful that our usual mix of old and young will work for us.”
Feniton begin their D Division East campaign with a May 4 trip to Chardstock before their first home game on the new pitch, the May 11 meeting with Kentisbeare.
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
On the new ground, French says: “We have had a look at the new square and, fro the pavilion it looks very lush indeed. A few early deliveries showed that, while the bounce is not similar to that on the previous square, I don’t think we are going top see too many ‘grubbers’ and ankle deliveries!
“Of course, being new it will take time to settle, but we like what we see so far.”
Feniton 2nd XI, who are stepping up a division after last year’s success, will be led by Francis Perryman. The 2nds start their G Division campaign with a home meeting with Kentisbeare II on May 4.