Beer buoyant after win

PUBLISHED: 10:30 12 November 2008 | UPDATED: 22:36 15 June 2010

P2921-46-08TI Feniton 2nds (blue) v Beer 2nds.
photo Terry Ife

P2921-46-08TI Feniton 2nds (blue) v Beer 2nds. photo Terry Ife

Copyright Archant Ltd

BEER ALBION claimed their first victory since the opening day of the season single goal win over Sidmouth Town when they served up a scintillating second half display to beat visiting Newtown 5-3.

BEER ALBION claimed their first victory since the opening day of the season single goal win over Sidmouth Town when they served up a scintillating second half display to beat visiting Newtown 5-3. A Luke Bartlett brace took the side in at the break 2-2 and in the second half James Melville netted twice and Justin Adkin came off the bench to add a fifth, the visitors getting a late consolation. Christian Vine made a solid debut in the Albion goal. Club secretary Roger Hoare said: "It's no coincidence that on Saturday we managed to field the strongest Albion XI we have put out this season. We have not had it easy this term to date what with the player departures before a ball was kicked and then a host of fixtures against the 'better and stronger' top flight sides, but I fancy we have a chance now to really kick start the season. Here's hoping that's the case."The Fishermen have a day off on Saturday, and they are next in top flight action at Wellington Town Reserves on November 22. With the Somerset side currently occupying the place immediately above basement dwellers Albion, hope springs eternal that by the end of the month Beer could well be upwardly mobile and on their way to Premier safety.Feniton slipped to an Acland Park defeat at the hands of Otterton. Jonathan French had put the home side ahead but the visitors, who were playing their first game after a month of inactivity, powered back to win 3-1 with all their goals coming in a frantic last seven minutes. Blues' boss Dave Carnall said: "Fair play to Otterton, they deserved to take something out of the game and sometimes that sort of thing needs to be said. They worked very hard and, although it's disappointing to lose, there are games when you say 'they deserved it', and this was one of them." On Saturday Feniton host Hatherleigh Town and they will not have defender Andy Carnell in their side after he made a swift return to a Cullompton Rangers team who had been happy to let him leave Speeds Meadow just a month ago. It seems, with two or three players departing the Peninsula League side for one reason or another, Carnell is back in favour and that means Cully's gain is Feniton's loss. Manager Carnall says: "To be honest I feel we have been used a little. As a local side we have to build a good 'in it together' ethic and, when Andy wanted to come back to us, whilst it meant somebody else missing out, it was great to have such quality back on board. But for him to go back just four games later strikes me as more a case of Feniton Football Club being used as a convenience and it won't happen again." There was County Cup disappointment for Seaton Town as they went out of the Senior Cup beaten 3-1 at United Services. Nothing seemed to go right for Town who, instead of playing on the pristine surface at one of the Plymouth Military bases, the rains meant a switch of venue and they ended up playing at Staddiscombe council pitches. Add to the pitch issues the fact that a howling gale blew end to end and fate appeared to be against them.That said they played exceptionally well and were probably, on the day, just as worthy of winning as the hosts. It was 3-0 to the military outfit until second half substitute Robbie Fellingham worked some wing magic and crossed for Jacob Hayes to head home with seven minutes remaining. Almost immediately Charlie Clark failed to score when just a foot from goal and, had that one gone in, a great escape may well have been effected by Town.Watkins said: "The lads were outstanding and could not have given an ounce more. If we had a problem on the day it was the lack of a mature or cultured finish, but those things will come. Some of the approach play was as good as we have served up all season. I hate to make issue of officials but our ref had a poor game and in my opinion missed two blatant penalties, one for each side. But I shook his hand post match. When the whistle goes, that's it, isn't it? We must regroup and move on."Jack Lamb-Wilson had a fine game at left wing back for Town. With his side already 10 points shy of the team currently occupying the third promotion berth, Watkins will be hoping to bring something back from Saturday's trip to Halwill who beat bottom side Cullompton Rangers 6-0 last weekend. He said: "We'll fire up the mini -bus for this one. It's a game we simply have to be winning if we are to go on and make a real fist of a promotion push. I am looking to bring three points back on that bus on Saturday evening."Upottery were also in the Senior Cup and they came out of their potential 'banana skin' fixture at Senior Five Colaton Raleigh, but only just, winning by the odd goal in five. It was certainly a 'performance of two halves' as the Senior One side found themselves staring down the barrel of a cup shock, trailing 2-0 at half time, but a few words at the break and a much improved second half display, initiated by a most unusual source, got them home. With a shortage of players regular goalkeeper Adrian Coombe, an accomplished outfield player in his own right, was asked to play up front with 16-year-old Jack Trevesick taking over between the posts. Coombe was moved back into central midfield for the second half, scored twice and controlled the game superbly. The winner came in the 85th minute from Andy Isaac. Next up for Merv Sawyer's team is a home game with Senior One basement dwellers Cullompton Rangers who currently sport a minus points tally. Axminster Town Reserves were the third of the local sides in Senior Cup action and they saw their hopes ended with an odd goal in five defeat to Chudleigh. Tigers' keeper Bret Garner kept up his remarkable record from the penalty spot when he fired the side level at 1-1 before the break. Garner has only ever missed one spot kick for the side. Michael Beer then put the Tigers ahead before the visitors levelled and won it, capitalising on a defensive error with 15 minutes remaining. Boss Kevin Turner said: "I am disappointed because that was a game we could, and should, have won. We didn't defend well but, even after they took that 3-2 lead, we had enough chances to go on and win the contest ourselves. Now we are out of the cup the old adage of 'concentrate on the league campaign' kicks in. Turner's side now host a Colyton team they beat 2-1 in a Senior Three game two weeks ago.Honiton Town made it three wins in four with a 2-1 Mountbatten Park success over Lympstone as they continue to climb the Senior Two table. Steve Rampaul and Stu Mackay had Town two up and looking comfortable before a couple of penalties were awarded inside a couple of minutes! Ben Kayes superbly saved the first, palming the ball away for a corner, which when it came over was cleared off the line by Kevin Blackwell. The Town player saw red and the resultant spot kick this time did beat Kayes. That, however, proved to be the final score of the contest. Sam Farmer was outstanding throughout in the middle of the Town midfield. Boss Richard Ayres said: "The win was deserved, the confidence is there for all to see now and the players are beginning to play as I know they can. We actually played better the previous week and lost so it augers well that there is still clearly 'more' in the locker to come from these lads." On Saturday Town travel into Exeter to meet Beacon Knights.Seaton Town Reserves lost their Senior Three game with Tipton St John 2-0. On Saturday Town's second string host Kentisbeare.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald