Beer’s blast from the past!

PUBLISHED: 12:35 11 November 2010

Budleigh Salteron (Red) Vs Axminster (yellow). Picture by Alex Walton. Ref mhspwk45 5722-45-10AW

Budleigh Salteron (Red) Vs Axminster (yellow). Picture by Alex Walton. Ref mhspwk45 5722-45-10AW


BEER Albion made it three wins in a row as they made Graddon Vending Devon Premier Cup progress with a 2-0 win at FC Manadon.

Mind you the Fishermen had an experience that they are most certainly not used to these days! The club ran a coach to the game and, when they arrived in Plymouth they found the hosts’ council owned changing facilities locked and so the players had to change in the open!

One or two of the players clearly were less than impressed but Fishermen’s boss Mark Ward used that as a motivating tool: “Some of the lads were unhappy as it was rather like a trip down memory lane to the old style of pre-match changing. But, when the whilst blew, they were really focused. We took early control of the game, scored the all important first goal, and then didn’t look back, to seal a comfortable win.”

Ollie Morgan and Luke Bartlett scored the Beer goals, both before the break and, even though the plucky hosts didn’t give up and threw everything they had at the visitors late in the game, the Fishermen’s defence held firm.

This weekend it’s back to league duties and a trip to University.

Seaton Town had a rare weekend as they went out of two cup competitions, beaten 5-2 at Galmpton on Saturday and 7-3 at Alphington 24 hours later!

Town boss Josh Stunell was most certainly looking on the bright side when he said: “It may actually work in our favour. In terms of the bigger picture these were two cup matches and our league campaign is more important. Despite the score lines in both matches we had much of the ball but we paid a heavy price for odd spells of poor play that were duly punished. Good teams show a response and I am looking forward to our next game to see how they bounce back.”

In Saturday’s Graddon Vending Devon Premier Cup defeat at Galmpton the Town goals came from Charlie Cross and Alex Wheatley. The following day the highlight of their Axminster Hospital Cup defeat was an outstanding goal from 16-year old Will Mowbray.

A Dan Norman penalty and a strike from Josh French accounted for the other Town goals. Stunell’s Premier Division high fliers are without a game this coming Saturday and so will return to action on Saturday week with the game at home to Willand Rovers.

Feniton slipped to a fifth straight defeat when beaten 2-1 at home by Cullompton Rangers but Blues’ boss Mark Kingdon was upbeat after the game saying: “In terms of the performance it was so much better than the previous week. This time out we had passion and, most importantly, desire. Having got into a slump, we are enduring a struggle for results.”

The Blues took the lead when a cross-cum-shot from Charlie Selley deceived the visiting glovesman. The Mid Devon side were level with a well-crafted goal but the manner of the winning goal typified their lack of fortune. The ball took a number of deflections before finding its way in to the hosts’ net whilst, at the other end, a Matthew Kingdon shot some thought was over the line was hacked clear.

Feniton have a great chance to exact immediate revenge when they travel to Speeds Meadow to meet Cullompton Rangers again this weekend in the reverse fixture.

Honiton Town suffered a fifth successive Division One defeat but there were genuine signs of the green shoots of recovery from Town as they battled well before being edged out by the odd goal in three at Heavitree Social United Reserves.

All is not lost for Town who, despite only having a single point banked from their first nine games, are not yet cast adrift with a number of sides just a couple of wins away from them in the table.

They have a tough task this coming weekend when they travel to second in the table, unbeaten Morchard Bishop. With the Mid Devon men having conceded just the one goal in their four home outings to date and Town having lost all five of their away trips, the odds are clearly stacked against Town, but this could be the sort of challenge they rise to.

Colyton were another side to be edged out by the odd goal in three as they went down 2-1 at home to a Clyst Valley side who had previously lost all four of their away games!

Colyton began brightly and were ahead inside seven minutes when a lofted ball from Simon McClellan saw Callum Somers rise superbly to head the ball over the advancing keeper. The ball rebounded off the post and Somers reacted calmly to slide the ball across the face of goal to Gary Sims who knocked the ball home.

Later in the half Somers was tripped just outside the area and Coly had two shots hacked clear when virtually over the line. The second half produced a dismal collective Colyton effort and a brace of goals inside the final eight minutes condemned the villagers to a 2-1 defeat. Mark Watkins said: “It’s not a performance we can be proud of. Both Clyst goals came against the run of play and that makes it very frustrating. We have people in positions to do the job and they didn’t perform. Their first goal was a calamity – and perhaps a little more communication might have helped Marc Potter out of that situation. For the second they played around us in midfield, which was disappointing. ”

Next up for Colyton is a trip to a Phoenix side who sit in the bottom half of the table but who are unbeaten at home this season having scored 11 goals in their three games at home to date.

The misery continues at Sector Lane for Axminster Town reserves after they were thumped 8-0 at Culm United and the Tigers have now shipped 35 goals in their six Division Two outings to date.

On Saturday the Tigers entertain an Exeter Civil Service side who have lost all three of their away games so far this term.

Offwell Rangers suffered a fifth Division Three reversal of the season and slip into the bottom four after they were beaten 3-1 at Topsham Town Reserves.

The score does not tell the whole story though as Rangers deserved to take something from the game. An own goal by the Tops fired Rangers back into the game and they were locked at 1-1 at the break.

With a quarter of an hour remaining the hosts took a 2-1 lead but 10 man Rangers battled back and, a minute from time Lewis Couch, who had an outstanding game, saw his superb strike cannon back into play off the upright with the keeper beaten. To add insult to injury the home side broke away and, with virtually the last kick of the game added a third. The whole side played well but the joint Men of the Match were Andy Lord and Lewis Couch.

Rangers’ boss Nick Ogden had nothing but praise for his troops saying: “If we were playing badly and getting really turned over each week then I’d be concerned. Reality is that we have been in almost every game this term and I do think it is just a matter of time before we turn somebody over soon – hopefully this coming weekend at Upottery!”

AXMOUTH United maintained their challenge for Division Five honours with a 3-0 win over Honiton Town.

It was a bitter sweet afternoon for United though as midfield talisman Reece Hales sustained a serious ankle injury which rather overshadowed the end result.

Christian Burridge nodded home a Jamie Hughes free kick 12 minutes in to give United the lead and their advantage was doubled before the break by the outstanding Hales.

It was not all one-way though and United keeper Charlie Clarke had to make a fine save to deny the hosts a way back into the game.

The points were sealed 15 minutes from time when Burridge begged his second of the game.

United boss Laurie Forino said: “It was a fine win thanks to a great all-round effort across the park but the team are devastated for the injured Reece who has been quite outstanding right from pre-season and we all wish him a speedy recovery. We will do all we can to support him on his way back to the game.”

Beer Albion Reserves march on in Division Five after a 3-1 win at Broadclyst. The victory lifted the Fishermen clear of the bottom three and sets them up nicely for this weekend’s East Devon derby at home to Dunkeswell Rovers. A win against the Dunks and they will draw level with them in the table.

Dunkeswell Rovers were beaten 3-1 at Cullompton Rangers Thirds - just a fortnight after they beat the same opposition 5-0 at home! In what is a very tight division the Dunks are just six points above the bottom three, but also a mere single point off third place! On Saturday the Dunks travel to meet Beer Albion Reserves who are also their next home opponents the following Saturday!

Feniton Reserves were beaten for the eighth time in nine outings when they went down 8-3 at University. This weekend the Blues second string have no League game.

Offwell Rangers Reserves beat Topsham Town Fourths by the odd goal in five. Five minutes in, Liam Spiller lobbed the Tops’ keeper from 30-yards and 10 minutes later the same player received a pass from Karl Allen to double the lead.

A scuffle early in the second half saw Rangers reduced to 10 men, the hosts took advantage and were soon level at 2-2.

There were just two minutes left when Dane Spiller, at centre back, headed home a Karl Allen corner to seal victory. The whole Rangers team deserve credit but Man of the Match was awarded to Liam Spiller.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald