Chapple boosts Seaton 3rd string

PUBLISHED: 10:00 01 October 2008 | UPDATED: 22:24 15 June 2010

Feniton put what, for them, has been a disappointing start to the campaign behind them with a comprehensive 4-1 victory over another of the early season Premier Division strugglers Beer Albion, writes Steve Birley.

Feniton put what, for them, has been a disappointing start to the campaign behind them with a comprehensive 4-1 victory over another of the early season Premier Division strugglers Beer Albion. Richard Hudson, Kelfala Fofana and Andy Carnell with a brace scored the Blues' goals. The latter netted his first for the club after a spell in the South West Peninsula League at Cullompton Rangers where he did very well indeed and even caught the eye of Toolstation side Willand Rovers.The Fishermen's cause was not helped by having two players sent off, although both red cards, issued within a couple of minutes each other, were dished out with the side already 3-1 down. Luke Bartlett netted the Albion goal. Manager Phil Crabb said: "When it was 2-1 to them I felt we were very much 'in the contest' but once they got the third and then, of course, with two off, it was always going to be a struggle."On Saturday Crabb's side take on Clyst Valley. James Melville is unavailable and so the manager will be looking to see how his walking wounded and other injured players are in the midweek training session before finalising his side.Blues' boss Carnall said: "I am delighted we got the win, we needed that and for me the presence of Andy (Carnell) back in a Feniton shirt is something to behold. He's a natural leader and just the sort of person you'd rather have in your team than against you." Next up for Feniton is Saturday's trip to Mid Devon to face a Bickleigh side who are one of just three top flight teams to remain unbeaten this term.Upottery, so narrowly beaten in their first ever Senior One game the previous week at Willand Rovers, marked their inaugural home game at this level with a fine victory, beating Westexe Rovers 4-2. Boss Merv Sawyer said: "It was a competent display in which Dave Isaac gave as good a show in the team's colours as I have seen from any midfielder in my time in charge."Andy Isaac seized on an under hit back pass to nip in and cancel out the visitors early score to take the sides in all square at the break and, in the second half, Andy Lord's far post header, a diving header from Mark Reed and a goal from Dave Isaac put Upottery well in charge. Westexe got a late second to complete the scoring.On Saturday Merv Sawyer's side host a Halwill outfit they were promoted alongside in May and will welcome back the holidaying Nick Trenchard and Dan Thompson.Seaton Town have certainly not made the start the Colyford Road faithful or indeed new boss Mark Watkins, were hoping for. They have slipped to bottom of the fledgling Senior One table with a second successive defeat, beaten 3-1 by Elmore Reserves. Marcus Wyatt scored the Town goal that actually saw them take the lead but, once the hosts had got their game moving, they ended comfortable winners. "It's not happening right now," said Town boss Mark Watkins, who continued: "Perhaps the side I have put together is a little too young. I am loathe to revert to older heads because I believe in what we have at Colyford Road. I am hoping that the return of George Moore will help galvanise things and enable us to get our campaign off and running, albeit a little later than I had anticipated." On Saturday Watkins' team host University and on duty will be 16-year-old Robbie Fellingham who can't make the Tuesday night club training sessions as he is on duty that night at the Huish Park youth team training. Honiton Town are another side to have made a poor start and they lost a Senior Two game for the second successive Saturday, going down 3-0 at Morchard Bishop, a side who these days are managed by former Yeovil Town favourite Warren Patmore. "You could see the Warren Patmore influence as soon as we arrived. They have a very organised set-up," said boss Richard Ayres.Town did in fact have the first chance of the game when Jim Gender, who made a very promising debut, spurned the chance and, within five minutes, the hosts were ahead courtesy of a penalty. They doubled their lead to go in at the break 2-0 up and added a third later in the game. Ayres said: "I told the lads after the game that, had they applied themselves from the first minutes as they did in the second half, then they may well have taken something out of the game."On Saturday Town play host to Heavitree Social United and once again Ayres will not be able to call on Tom Poole and Ben Price, both of whom remain on the injury list. They have now be joined by new signing Gender who damaged an ankle at Morchard Bishop: "It's typical of our luck this term that as soon as we get a new signing out and he looks the part, he picks up a knock! Once we get everybody back fighting fit I am confident we will be more than okay. I am certainly not getting too worried at this early stage of the season," said the Town boss.In Senior Three, Axminster Town Reserves drew 1-1 at Lapford whilst Seaton Town Reserves also shared the spoils, as they were held 0-0 at Colyford Road by Bampton.Colyton travelled to Witheridge with a bare squad but at one stage seemed like they would take something from the contest. However, on the day, lady luck did not smile on Keith Somers' side and they trooped back to East Devon with a 3-1 defeat.After shipping an early goal it was the long standing club servant Matthew Osman who powered home a header to take the sides into the break all square.On the hour teenager Callum Somers scored what looked to be a super goal, only for it to be ruled out for offside, and two minutes later the hosts got themselves back in front in most fortuitous circumstances when, after the ball had pinged around the area for what seemed an age, goal scorer Osman tried in vain to hook the ball clear, only to see it spin into the net. The hosts added a third to seal the points.Osman said: "I am so pleased with what the team served up, at times we were the better side and, given that we were up against a Peninsula League Reserve side that included three or four with first team miles under their belt this season, I have to be very satisfied with what my lot did."Next up for Colyton is Saturday's home game with Lapford. Mike Cullum is away and so Jason Webber, who scored for the Reserves on Saturday, comes in as a direct replacement. Jimmy Richards and Mark Potter are also both available for the game.Offwell Rangers didn't get any action at the weekend as their game scheduled for West Exe in Tiverton was the subject of a late cancellation - it was discovered that the Tiverton Town Band were booked to play at the same venue! The match will now be rearranged.In Senior Five, Axmouth United shared four goals with hosts Okehampton Argyle. But, on the long journey home, boss James Teed was left feeling that they perhaps ought to have won. A John Cooper brace put United into a two goal lead but the hosts were back in it just before the break and levelled in the second half."We had the chances to win the game but before kick-off I'd have been chuffed with a point so I have to be happy - to some degree, but I can't help thinking what might have been," Teed said.Christian Burridge missed the trip to Okehampton but he returns for Saturday's game at Ottery St Mary. However, Teed is missing the Otters' game: "I am looking forward to getting both Christian and I playing in the same side again soon," said Teed whose strike partnership with Burridge last year yielded a half century of goals.In Intermediate One, Beer Albion reversed the result that their first team had against Feniton when they beat the Blues' second string 4-0 at Furzebrake. Matthew Hayles put the Fishermen one up by half time and, after the break, goals from Lee Wakeley, Ross Moughton and Rob Adkin sealed a fine home win. Honiton Town Reserves drew 1-1 at Uplowman Athletic.Rockbeare Rangers dominated the first half of their game at Hatherleigh to such a degree that the match should really have been over by half time. A combination of resolute home defending and some wayward shooting saw Rangers net just one in the first 45 minutes when Jamie Thomas opened the scoring. Injuries altered the make-up of the team after the break and the hosts grew stronger and equalised. Still chances came, and went, for wasteful Rangers and the game ended 1-1. Paul Chapman was named star man whilst the club were also lauding Lucozade Sport who have stumped up 588 bottles of drink courtesy of the Lucozade Sport Performance League that the club are linked into this season.In Intermediate Four Feniton Thirds got the better of Otterton Reserves by the odd goal in seven. Seaton Town 3rds made up for the club's 1st and 2nd teams' failure to register wins by beating Tedburn St Mary 4-1 on their own patch. It was a 'super show' from Town for whom Steve Hardie bagged a brace and the other goals came from Josh Stunnel and Alan Schoolar. What's more the game also marked the debut of yet another of the club's 'young guns' - 16- year-old Jack Chapple made his senior debut and quickly settled in at right back.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald