Colyton build on cup win

PUBLISHED: 10:00 24 September 2008 | UPDATED: 22:22 15 June 2010

FENITON boss Dave Carnall pulled no punches after watching his side lose for the third time in four early season Premier Division matches.

FENITON boss Dave Carnall pulled no punches after watching his side lose for the third time in four early season Premier Division matches. "In the three years that I have been involved that has to be the single worst performance we have served up. From start to finish and throughout the side, we were simply nowhere close to the sort of standard we need to be for a game at this level," he said.They actually led 2-0 at the half way stage but the forthright Blues manager admitted: "Yes, we may well have had a 2-0 lead but how we did not ship four or even five in that first half remains a mystery to me. If we were below par in the first half we were woeful after the break."Jonathan French and Andrew Jones had fired Feniton into the lead but a second half hat-trick from Ryan Pym sealed a first win of the season in all competitions for Topsham Town."Fair play to them (Topsham), they deservedly won, but we were the makers of our own downfall," lamented Carnall who must now prepare his side for an East Devon derby with Beer Albion on Saturday. The Fishermen sport an identical 'lost three and won one' record so it will be an important match.Feniton can ring the changes for the derby game with Alex Frankpitt, Matt Kingdom and Andy Carnell, who all missed the Topsham debacle, returning to the fold.Better news for Feniton Reserves as they won their Intermediate One game against Honiton Town Reserves 7-2 but the third team went down by the odd goal in five at Lapford.Beer Albion's disappointing stat to the campaign continued as they were beaten for the third time in four Premier Division outings, beaten 1-0 at Furzebrake by top flight new boys Otterton.Seaton Town met East Budleigh for the second successive Saturday and where they had won the first meeting to move into the next round of the County Cup they made a losing start to their league campaign, beaten 3-1. Manager Mark Watkins said: "The game was a good contest but our problem was we were unable to put the ball in the back of the net at key moments and, had we got the first goal, then perhaps we'd have come out winners."Town did play their part in an entertaining game with 16-year-old right back Marcus Wyatt once again in eye-catching form. On four separate occasions he left his opponent for dead and then delivered a superb cross that zipped across the penalty area without a Town player being able to get the touch which would surely have served up a goal.Another of the Town youngsters, Jack Lamb-Wilson, was injured in the early exchanges and, although he managed to run it off, he was hampered by the knock and Watkins' plans were further hit with the influential Bradley Groves not coming out for the second half with a hamstring problem.The visitors took the lead in the third minute of first half stoppage time but on 55 minutes a delightful Ben Ede free kick got his side back on level terms, only for the visitors to take the points with goals in the 65th and closing minutes.On Saturday Watkins takes his side to Elmore and will be able to include yet another youngster, Robbie Fellingham, who celebrates his 16th birthday midweek and so is eligible to play from this coming weekend in the Senior sides. The youngster has just been invited back to Huish Park for a second spell of 18 weeks as a Yeovil Town 'triallist' and Watkins is delighted that the left sided midfielder is now old enough to play: "He's one of those lads who has been with us through all the age groups. He's a talent that's for sure and I am looking forward to seeing how he fares with us."It proved to be a disappointing day all round for Seaton on Saturday for, as well as the 1st team, both the Reserves and 3rds team also lost. Charlie Clarke and Jamie Poynton scored the second team goals in a 4-2 defeat at East Devon rivals Colyton, whilst there was a rare goal from Jeremy Rostron and others from Maxy French (father of Josh French), and Gareth Richardson, as the 3rds lost by the odd goal in seven against Countess Wear Dynamos.Upottery's first visit to a ground that serves up Western League Premier Division football, for a Devon & Exeter League Senior One engagement may well have ended in defeat, but they delivered sufficient to suggest that they are very capable of sustaining their place in the league at the least. They fell to a single goal defeat by Willand Rovers Reserves.Their finishing didn't match their approach play as a couple of glorious second half opportunities went begging.The home side found a new gear and scored what proved to be the winner 20 minutes from time.Boss Merv Sawyer said: "Everybody was telling me that we should hold our heads up high having given a good account of ourselves but you know I can't rid myself of the feeling that we could have played better."On Saturday Upottery receive a visit from Tiverton side Westexe Rovers.l There was an amusing sight for the Western League regular followers when, at half time, the home team trooped off to the Silver Street dressing rooms but Upottery headed for the area in front of the visitors' dugout and spent the half time break on the pitch.Upottery chairman Mike Kellow, who was at the game explained saying: "Back at our place we have no on-pitch changing facilities and so staying out on the pitch at half time is the norm. There is also the small fact that the 'gaffer' of the side does enjoy a cigarette at the interval and these days that sort of activity in dressing rooms is taboo!" Upottery boss Merv Sawyer added: "I did ask the boys if they wanted to go in but they said as it was such a lovely day they'd prefer to stay out in the sunshine."The East Devon derby at Colyton saw the home side build on the previous week's fine win over County Cup holders Willand Rovers with a 4-2 home win over Seaton Town Reserves in their opening Senior Three game.However, post match the main talking point was not the six goals the contest served up but a bizarre incident in the first half when the match referee 'abandoned' the game only to 're-start it' minutes later!The problem began when he made it clear that the ongoing work to a new barrier/fencing going up around the Colyton pitch needed to be halted whilst the game was in progress and, having voiced his intention to 'abandon' the game unless the work ceased immediately, he did just that!In the meantime Colyton chief Keith Somers was hot footing it on his way from the halfway touchline to speak with the work force to get them to halt their work. Discussions then took place between match official and team managers and, with the work stopped, the game re-started. Somers said: "It was bizarre. The referee definitely announced that the game was being 'abandoned' and in the next breath he announced that we were set to re-start. I have never seen anything like it in all my time in the game."As for the match itself, two early chances were missed by the home side before, in their first attack of any note, the visitors seized the lead. On the half hour a brave challenge by James Richards was rewarded with him ultimately scoring the equaliser. Then a free kick was set up by 'skipper for the day' Michael Cullum and the club's regular vice skip struck a superb shot that rattled the bar, bounded down and was eventually bundled home by young Callum Somers.Seaton were awarded a penalty, converted to level at 2-2 and that's how the sides went into the break.Right wing back Andrew Dare fed a good pass to James Rucker and his delivery into the area was given an accomplished finish by young Somers to put Colyton ahead and they completed the scoring late on through Michael Gould.Somers added: "We deserved it for our general play, which at times was very good. The game ought to be memorable for that very special free kick by Michael Cullum but sadly I fear we will all remember this game for the abandonment that never was!" On Saturday Colyton travel to Witheridge where they will be put to the test again with the hosts being the Reserve team of a South West Peninsula League Premier Division side.Honiton Town lost 2-1 to North Tawton.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald