Ede leads Feniton to extra-time cup success

PUBLISHED: 15:59 04 October 2015 | UPDATED: 15:59 04 October 2015

Cup match action between Feniton 2nds and Sidmouth 3rds at Feniton on Saturday. Ref mhsp 0298-38-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

Cup match action between Feniton 2nds and Sidmouth 3rds at Feniton on Saturday. Ref mhsp 0298-38-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn


Feniton bagged a berth in the next round of the Devon Senior Cup after an extra-time 3-2 success over Newtown.

What made the victory all the more impressive was that the Blues went into the game without six first-choice players!

If the problem of unavailable players was not bad enough things got markedly worse as the Blues made a sluggish start and fell behind in the very first minute!

The Feniton response was good and parity was restored when Danny Lewis who used his pace to run through and drill the ball beyond the Newtown glovesman.

Feniton were fortunate not to face a first half penalty when goalkeeper Matt Kingdon seemed to haul down a Newtown player, but the match official opted to award the hosts a free-kick, much to the consternation of the visiting players!

The second half began with Blues under the cosh and so it was against the run of play when striker Dan Norman did well to find time and space to square the ball to player-manager Ede took a touch before rifling a 25-yard half-volley beyond the keeper.

A period of end-to-end football followed with chances going begging at both ends before, with time almost out Newtown were awarded a penalty. They duly scored and the game went into extra-time.

The best of the early extra-time chances fell to Jon French who, having received a pass from Norman, saw his effort from six-yards, cannon back off the crossbar!

Both teams had what they considered excellent shouts for a penalty turned down before Feniton right back, Man of the Match Roberto Bergamini found former Blues boss Mark Kingdon and he took the ball on before crossing and French reacted first in a crowded area to fire the ball home and win the game!

A delighted Ede said: “It was a superb game of football and one that I fancy neither side really deserved to lose! I could not be prouder, nor happier, with the contribution of my players who, to a man, put in a monumental shift. Special mention to youngsters Billy Parnell and Lewis Ede in their first real outing for the first team and didn’t put a foot wrong. I must also commend match-winner Jon French who was ‘promoted’ to the senior side and played whilst waiting for the call from his good lady wife who is expecting their baby!”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald