Ede nets five as Feniton end Newtown run

PUBLISHED: 09:55 24 November 2015 | UPDATED: 09:55 24 November 2015

Feniton take on Beer. Ref mhsp 3476-45-15AW. Picture: Alex Walton

Feniton take on Beer. Ref mhsp 3476-45-15AW. Picture: Alex Walton


Feniton ended one of the two remaining Fresha League Premier Division unbeaten records when they thumped leaders Newtown on their own turf!

With a strong wind blowing it was clear that the match would be one of those classic ‘game-of-two-halves’ and so it proved.

Feniton played against the wind in the first half, but fell behind to an early goal when the Fenny back line failed to clear the ball.

Almost immediately there was an opportunity to level, but player boss Ben Ede saw his close range shot fly over the bar; the chance created by a slick counter-attack launched by Danny Lewis on the left wing.

Soon after an Ede free-kick was parried by the Newtown goalkeeper and fell to Lewis, but his shot beat the glovesman only to cannon back off the upright of the goal!

The home dominated for much of the half with the strong wind meaning Fenny were penned deep in their own territory for long periods. Two outstanding last-ditch tackles from Niall Jefford and two wonderful finger tip saves from goalkeeper Matt Kingdon, prevented further goals with Newtown only able to net one more, just before the break, to lead 2-0 at half-time.

With the wind in their favour Fenny were further boosted with a goal two minutes after the restart! A clearance from the home glovesman fell to the play-boss 40-yards from goal and he promptly sent the ball back over his head and into the net!

Two minutes later the scores were level with Ede slotting a penalty awarded for handball. Just seven minutes into the second half and Fenny held the lead with Roberto Bergamini providing the assist for an Ede strike from 25-yards that swerved in the wind and went through the goalkeepers hands.

Feniton were now in total charge and a sweet passing move saw the ball once again arrive at the feet of Ede who arrowed his shot via the palms of the ‘keepers hands and into the net to make i4 4-2.

There was still time for a fifth and this proved to be the best goal of the game with the move being started in the Feniton area before slick passing involving Phil Everett, Paul Dowling, Ben Allen and Danny Lewis, ended with the ball unselfishly squared by Lewis to Ede for the player boss to drill home his, and his side’s, fifth goal.

A delighted Ede said: “Despite being two down at half-time I was confident as I felt we’d had an escape in the first half when they (Newtown) could and indeed should have scored three or four more an possible put the game out of our reach. If it wasn’t for some great last ditch tackling or Matty Kingdon dominating his box we wouldn’t have had the chance to get back into it. The second half was the best performance of this season by far and every player was a credit to the club. It just goes to show that with the correct attitude and desire to win you get your rewards. Another factor for the win is that we were very clinical, we did have a bit of luck with a couple goals but if you don’t shoot you don’t score!

“We saw some big performances. Most notably from Ben Allen and Matt Kingdom and it was so good to have Phil Everett back with us after his lengthy injury absence.”

Feniton: Kingdon (c), Sellick (Everett), Simic, Blackmore, Jefford (Southall-Brown), Price, Bergamini, B Ede, Allen, Lewis, Dowling (L Ede).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald