Farway win at last

PUBLISHED: 09:30 03 December 2008 | UPDATED: 22:43 15 June 2010

HEADLINES this week have to go to Farway Utd who not only won their first match of the season but got off the foot of the Premier League table to boot!

HEADLINES this week have to go to Farway Utd who not only won their first match of the season but got off the foot of the Premier League table to boot! Manager Andrew Baily said: "Before the match one of our players said he had a dream in which we were relegated with no points!" "Luckily at least one part of it won't come true now." Baily has been saying for weeks that his side haven't been playing badly but there comes a time when, no matter how well a team is playing, they begin to think that a win is nigh on impossible to achieve. Farway had never been eight games without a point before and weren't enjoying the experience. However, all came good against Perry Street with Farway in control, if goalless, for the first half, having had two decent penalty shouts turned down. The first 10 minutes of the second half saw Farway struggle against the wind but Ben Williams scored on the hour and Bradley King added another soon after. Farway were 2-0 up! Perry Street came back into the game, but Farway keeper Phil Woodley made some cracking saves and the back four players earned praise, before the Street pulled a goal back with just one and a half minutes left. "Seriously, if we play as well as we have the last three weeks, we will win more games and avoid relegations," Baily predicted. Meanwhile FARWAY RESERVES were winning after extra times again - this time in the Kenny Hodges Cup against Ilminster Town A. "It was a very good game and I can't praise the players enough," said boss Rodney Lock. Man of the match was captain Paul Salmon. Richard Gardner and Dan Edwards scored in normal time, Salmon, Chris Haines and sub Matt Grant in extra time, the latter getting his first goal for the club. Millwey Rise, fresh from their efforts midweek against Cullompton (see below right), won their Daisy Hutchings Cup tie 5-0 against Crewkerne Reserves. Crewkerne proved stiff opposition but Michael Knight drilled a shot home after just three minutes. Danny Larcombe made it 2-0 after 28 minutes. Manager Ian Hall thought his side weren't making the most of their chances and told them so at half time. After the break they clicked into gear, Ashley Hall and James Harvey, up from the Reserves, played well and there was a cracking 35 yarder from Knight and two goals from the tireless Gary Venn. Millwey are now looking forward to Rockbeare Rangers in the Devon Intermediate Cup as they have character about them. Rise's current cup success could see them reach January having only played four league games. Lyme Regis had their match with Misterton called off due to a tragic road accident affecting the Somerset club and the Bantams lost 6-2 to Hawkchurch, the Reserves having no scheduled match.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald