Hiccup for Beer and Upottery

PUBLISHED: 09:00 05 March 2008 | UPDATED: 21:35 15 June 2010

P7650-10-08TI Seaton v Willand.
photo Terry Ife

P7650-10-08TI Seaton v Willand. photo Terry Ife

Copyright Archant Ltd

Beer Albion slipped out of the top six in the Premier Division after being held 1-1 at home by Heavitree Social United.

Beer Albion slipped out of the top six in the Premier Division after being held 1-1 at home by Heavitree Social United. Albion won just one of their opening seven games in this campaign but, since the turn of the year, have reversed the stats and lost just one in seven outings as they bid for a top six finish. Saturday's draw with the Exeter side was one of those 'forgettable' games as the Fisherman's boss Matt Rooke alluded saying: "It was not much of a game I am afraid. I am duty bound to say that a draw was a fair result."A mix up between home keeper and a defender 'gifted' the visiting side a half time lead but Beer felt aggrieved when a match official decided that James Melville was offside following a goal kick.Rooke's side did draw level after the break when Melville was felled in the penalty area and Martin Hancock swept the spot kick home. Thereafter neither side opened the other up and the game petered out into an 'honourable' draw. There's no game for Beer this weekend but Rooke suggests he's looking for a strong finish to the campaign: "We have got five, or even six, lads coming back very soon, be that from university, suspension or injury and so to be hovering around the top six at this stage is very pleasing. I am looking for a strong finish to the season."Feniton slipped to defeat at Thorverton going down 4-0 but don't read too much into this score line because the afternoon became one of a succession of comical defensive errors all kick started in the 15th minute by a misunderstanding between the generally 'Mr Reliable' Russell Whitton in goal and full back Stuart Blackmore. The Blues' pair contrived to serve up a scoring opportunity that a Thors' player seized on. It got worse for Feniton when the experienced Whitton was nutmegged!Jamie Easterbrook so nearly got his side back in the game 10 minutes before the break when his header grazed the home cross bar but a third 'killer' goal right on half time, due to another defensive error, effectively ended the game as a contest. The home side added a fourth in the second half and post match Dave Carnall said: "That game ought to have been a single goal victory for them. They are a tidy side but we committed defensive suicide in this one and you can always tell afterwards when things have gone horribly wrong. Also, when good old honest players know the error of their afternoon, the dressing room is silent and ours at Raddon Road was like a morgue."It's Pinhoe at Acland Park on Saturday and Carnall anticipates a change in fortunes: "I am sure that we'll be that much more focussed with our defending and I'd expect us to force the pace being the home side." Carnall can name an unchanged side for the Exeter side's visit. Seaton Town take the honours from the weekend's league programme with an outstanding result against a side who the previous week had booked a place in the East Devon Senior Cup final. Willand Rovers arrived at Colyford Road very much as 'promotion rivals' but left well beaten thanks to three Seaton goals courtesy of Ollie Morgan, Jamie Poynton and Brad Groves. It was a second successive win and also saw back-to-back clean sheets for Mark Rooke's team. They have powered their way back into the promotion picture after a miserable pre Christmas run of four defeats in six had seen them fall off the pace. They go into Saturday's home game with Westexe Rovers, a side they beat by a single goal in Tiverton last November, just a point outside the promotion places.There was disappointment for both Honiton Town and Upottery in Senior Two as both sides lost. The Honiton defeat was the hardest felt as it was a third straight defeat and means that, in five outings since the turn of the year, Town have picked up just three points from a possible 15. Nigel Doe said: "It was a performance lacking in energy and urgency and frankly at this moment our form is that of a relegation-threatened side. That said the same set of players pre Christmas got us into a powerful position in terms of looking for a promotion push and we remain 'in the mix."Tony Veevers was the one shining light for the Mountbatten Park men. The Town skipper was influential across the park and certainly did not deserve to come off the pitch as a loser. Rich Newby netted the Town goal, one that took them into the half time break trailing 2-1. The hosts' fourth and final goal summed up the Town afternoon as a mix up in the defence gifted the opposition their goal.On Saturday, Town have what on paper looks a very tough 'ask' as they take on 'champions-in-waiting' Bow AAC but as Doe suggests this might well be an ideal game for the misfiring side. "A game like this coming one needs precious little introduction to the players and let's face it, if you want to get out of a losing habit, there's no better place than to take on the table-topping side. They may well think it's won before the start and we'll have a right go at them."Upottery's 4-2 defeat at University of Exeter was their first reversal in a magnificent run of 12 league games since a November 3 2-1 defeat at current leaders Bow AAC. The villagers' manager Merv Sawyer is not going to lose too much sleep about this one as he explained saying : "No complaints from me on this one and I must say I thought the referee had a fine game. It's a defeat, okay but, you know, it's been a long time arriving after a superb run and for me the test now of this set of players is to see if we can draw a response. That's always the measure of how good a side is, how they cope in adversity. There's no disgrace in going down to the students who play a good brand of pacey football."Upottery played for all but 15 minutes of the game a man short after the dismissal early on of defender Stuart Coomb who got little sympathy from his manager. Sawyer said: " He (Coomb) had to go, the referee had no option."The students were already a goal to the good before the red card and they doubled the lead before Andy Isaac reduced the arrears. A third goal just before the interval effectively settled the game. Isaac netted a second after the break but the home side quickly restored their two goal advantage.It's St Loye's at home on Saturday for Sawyer's side and the villagers' boss said: " We'll see what the lads are made of this weekend."Colyton recorded a sixth straight win since the turn of the year with a competent 2-0 win over Kentisbeare. Sixteen-year-old Mike Gould, who had previously only seen a single minute of first team football, epitomised the confidence sweeping through the upwardly mobile Senior Three side with a performance of great maturity. The game was won by two second half goals, the first one from a Nick Pritchard penalty and the second, and decisive, score came with five minutes remaining when Jason Potter beat the visiting keeper to a through ball and calmly converted.Colyton Boss Mark Somers said: "We deserved that, it was a fine all round display. Star man of the day for me was Matt Hewer in midfield. I'd like to think that this extended winning run will have rivals beginning to 'worry' about us. We are close now and the key thing is to keep our high levels of consistent performance from here until the end of the campaign. On a note of caution, at some stage we will lose and it will be interesting to see how we react, positively I hope!

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald