Honiton FC get the winning habit

PUBLISHED: 10:00 16 September 2009 | UPDATED: 00:11 16 June 2010

Axminster Reserves (red) in action against Exmouth Ammies.

Axminster Reserves (red) in action against Exmouth Ammies.

Honiton Town were worthy 3-1 winners in their Devon Senior Cup tie at Beer Albion.

Honiton Town were worthy 3-1 winners in their Devon Senior Cup tie at Beer Albion.

Boss Richard Ayres said: "The lads carried on from where they left off in the opening game and that tells me they took on board everything they had been told, both at half time in that opener and, indeed, on the training ground."

Tim Gender fired Town ahead at Furzebrake and Mike Foster doubled the advantage before the break.

Darren Witt extended the lead before the Fishermen pulled one back with some 15 minutes remaining via Mark Anning, but Town held firm to book their place in the next round.

Ayres said: "I am a realist and recognise that this is a cup we are unlikely to see nestling in our trophy cabinet, but winning football matches is an excellent habit to get into and we have two wins from two outings now and you cannot ask for much more than that."

Next up for Town is Saturday's home game against Exeter Civil Service Reserves as they seek to claim back to back Division Two victories.

Beer seek a similar return when they play their second Division One game at home to Halwill.

Joining Honiton Town in the next round are Colyton after they defeated Northam Lions 2-1, thanks to an outstanding performance from young striker Callum Somers.

With boss Richard Somers busy on the annual harvest, the reins were taken by Gary Bridge and he oversaw a fine all round display in which young Somers was irresistible, scoring both the villagers' goals.

The teenager also picked up the match sponsors, Dave Massam Motorcycle repairs' Man of the Match award.

Paul Millman and Andy Widger were both outstanding in the Colyton mid-field. Somers, speaking to the Herald whilst continuing harvesting in some glorious September sunshine said: "We were apparently very good value and I am proud as punch to hear about how well Callum did for us".

Feniton made it through into the next round with a 2-1 success at South Devon outfit Kingsteignton Athletic, although they did need the extra 30 minutes to book their place.

John Phillips had given the Blues the lead, but the hosts levelled before summer signing Martin Swannell netted what proved to be the winning goal in extra time.

On Saturday the Blues return to Premier Division action with a trip to high flying, but managerless, Topsham Town.

There was no cup joy for Upottery who were unceremoniously dumped out of the Senior Cup, beaten 5-0 at home by Morchard Bishop.

On Saturday, the villagers begin life back in Division Two when they travel to face Witheridge Reserves - the second team of the South West Peninsula League Premier Division outfit managed by former Glasgow Rangers and England Under-21 full back, Chris Vinnicombe.

Seaton Town's Graddon Vending Devon Premier Cup game at Lifton was postponed, and Town are in Devon and Exeter League action this weekend with a Division One home game against Culm United.

Offwell went out of the Devon Senior Cup, beaten 4-2 at home by Division Two side North Tawton.

Despite dominating for long periods, Offwell found themselves 3-0 down at the break and they shipped a fourth before goals from Jack Knight and Jordan Stickland gave them some reward for their efforts.

Manager Nick Ogden said: "We played good football again for a good part of the game without really creating much. They were very clinical in the finishing and punished any mistake we made, the best thing I got from the game was the lads never stopped and their fitness was considerably better than theirs. I'm not upset about being knocked out, it leaves us to really focus on our league performances."

Sixteen-year-old Corey Couch claimed the Man of the Match award for a very mature performance.

Next up for the side is a trip to Sidbury on Saturday.

In the Intermediate Cup there was a fine 2-0 win and a place in the next round for Awliscombe at the expense of Feniton Reserves, whilst Beer Albion Reserves bagged a 2nd round berth with a 2-1 win at Lapford.

In what was a greatly reduced League programme owing to the cup matches, there was an odd goal in seven defeat for Axminster Town Reserves at Exmouth Amateurs in Division Two.

Joel Seward bagged a brace and Michael Beer also notched a goal. On Saturday, the Tigers entertain Dawlish Town Reserves.

Seaton Town Reserves shared four goals and the points with Bampton in their Division Four meeting, whilst there was defeat for Axmouth United who went down 2-1 at AFC Sidford in Division Six.

Honiton Town Reserves had a good day, banking the Division Seven points with a 5-3 home success over Langdon and Feniton Thirds were 3-1 winners at Cheriton Fitzpaine.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald