King double as Millwey Rise Reserves see off Central

PUBLISHED: 11:07 18 March 2018 | UPDATED: 11:07 18 March 2018


Millwey Rise Reserves were 3-0 winners when they entertained Central Reserves in a Macron League Division Eight game, writes Dick Sturch.

On a bitterly cold afternoon when some of the tackles were as raw as the weather this game at times, became a war of attrition!

Millwey began the first half on the attack with both Stuart King and Mark Pike missing good scoring opportunities. This really was the extent of the excitement in a half that became bogged down with each side stifling any fluent football with some hard tackles and wayward passes. Defences were certainly on top with Matt Rocket prominent for the home side.

Ten minutes into the second period Central were awarded a somewhat dubious penalty (considering what had gone before) which Mark Seward fired home.

This stung the home side into a spate of activity that saw Matty Lewis fire in a dipping long-range strike which the keeper did well to tip over.

Then, from the resulting corner, Danny Larcombe’s cross found King who headed home for the equaliser.

Millwey went into the lead a few minutes later when Haydn Lewis provided the assist for King to net his second. The referee was then called upon to brandish several yellow cards as things got a little fraught. Haydn Lewis was replaced by Liam Best as the game entered the final minutes.

Mark Pike had Central’s defence in a mix-up as he ran through on goal which resulted in a hurried clearance hitting another defender before rebounding into the net for an own goal. In the last minute, Terry Male in the Millwey goal, kept their 3-1 lead intact when he brought off an outstanding save to push the ball round the post to round off what had been a very solid performance between the sticks.

For Millwey, Matt Rocket had a solid game in defence and Mark Pike, together with two-goal Stuart King, worked hard to break down a very determined defence.

However, on the day, the real heroes were on the Tea Hut terrace – the tea ladies and spectators who braved the arctic wind and sub zero temperature to support the team.

Next Saturday (March 24), Millwey Rise will hope to get a game in when they are scheduled to host Culm United at Cloakham Lawns whole the second team travel to Mid Devon to meet Cheriton Fitzpaine. Both match have 3pm kick-offs.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald