Lyme cup victory over league rivals Beaminster

PUBLISHED: 09:04 24 February 2010 | UPDATED: 00:58 16 June 2010

LYME Regis Reserves were 3-1 up at half time against Perry Street Reserves at home, but ended up on the wrong end of 6-4!

LYME Regis Reserves were 3-1 up at half time against Perry Street Reserves at home, but ended up on the wrong end of 6-4!

Manager Gerard Hitchcock was at a loss for an explanation, having just told the team to 'keep doing what you're doing' at half time.

Fred Thompson, Hitchcock and Ryan Pfifer had put Lyme 3-1 ahead, but Perry Street were soon 3-3, and all of a sudden 6-3 up before Thompson scored a second.

"I have no idea what went wrong," Hitchcock said, "but we just have to put it behind us and move on."

Match of the day was the LYME 1st XI away win against the side who lead them on goal difference in the Premier table, Beaminster in the Challenge Cup quarter finals.

Lyme went 1-0 up through Julian Simier, Beaminster levelling in the first half. After the break Lyme went 2-1 up through Joe Bond and held on during a period when Beaminster came back strongly, before playing well at the end.

Lee Cleal in the centre of midfield was Man of the Match.

Lyme Bantams' match was called off.

Uplyme beat Dowlish and Donyatt in Division Two 2-1 in a spirited team effort. Young stand-in keeper 'Buster' had an inspired game, regular incumbent Lloyd Cleal, a postman, having broken his finger that morning at work.

Millwey Rise were in glorious form, beating Chard United away 5-0. Millwey are now 10 points clear at the top of Division Two ahead of Norton.

Farway Reserves were beaten 2-1 by mid-table Barrington Reserves, a disappointing result for a side second from top. Winsham currently lead the table.

"It was pretty tough going," said manager Paul Salmon, who felt that some decisions didn't really go their way. "And disappointing as really we should have won. We didn't play as well as we can but were good enough for a draw."

He was full of praise for stand in keeper Greg McCullom and also club stalwart Graham Barton who had a late stint between the posts as the side pushed up to try for a winner.

Man of the Match was midfield tank Darren Cook who set up Chris Legg's goal - his 20th of the season so far. Paul Merchant also played well.

Farway have three games in hand over Winsham, and trail by three points. Ilminster Town A are just one point behind, having played the same number of matches. Farway 1st XI's match fell foul of the wet weather during the week.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald