Millwey go back to basics

PUBLISHED: 09:00 04 February 2009 | UPDATED: 22:59 15 June 2010

WIth much of the county now under a blanket of snow, it was still wet weather that caused problems in the Perry Street League on Saturday.

WIth much of the county now under a blanket of snow, it was still wet weather that caused problems in the Perry Street League on Saturday. Games off included Lyme Regis 1sts and Bantams, Uplyme, Millwey Reserves and Farway Reserves. Lyme Reserves did get to play their Daisy Hutchings Cup third round match against Netherbury on an away pitch that was 'nearly perfect' according to 1st XI boss Rob Thom. Their 1sts' match was under water on Friday after overnight Thursday rain which was added to by water coming off the nearby hill.Against Netherbury, Lyme played well in patches and, despite dominating the first half, were only able to go in at the break 1-0 up. Fred Thomson was the scorer.After the break Andrew Hitchcock made it 2-0 but Steve Batey's defensive error let Netherbury in to claw one back. A penalty from Ali Rattenbury and another goal from Fred Thomson made it 4-1 and it was a facile victory in the end, Lyme impressing with their desire to win. Next week Lyme 1sts are away to Combe in the quarter final of the cup but the Reserves have no game as six of the squad are away skiing. Millwey 1st XI managed to stop the rot with a win against Hinton away.The managers got some different partnerships going and it seemed to work.After five minutes a corner from Callum Garrett was headed home by Gary Venn.After 65 minutes Matty Preece scored a second and the side could have had others during the spell in between. Hinton got a goal back nearly on 80 minutes and came back into the game. Manager Ian Hall was delighted to see his side roll up their sleeves and get stuck in to win the late battle. Man of the Match was Matthew Hall who played in centre midfield with Shane Featherstone.Farway United had another frustrating match, as, yet again, they had a side with regulars missing. They committed the cardinal sin of letting in two early goals, said manager Andy Baily, who would love to have been able to field a full strength side. "After that, we gave as good as we got, minute for minute, but weren't quite sharp enough at the start of the second half when we let in another." Euan Carnelly, who generally plays as Reserve team keeper, had a second go at playing up front and had a good game, especially in the first half. He scored a fully deserved goal to make it 3-1. Ben Williams had a one on one with the keeper shortly afterwards and was only denied by a good save. In the last 15 minutes, heads dropped and Petherton forged ahead, finally winning 7-1. Baily said: "We did ok for 65 minutes and at one point were a good save away from being 3-2, but at the end they really did us." Availability is an issue for Farway who play Merriott Rovers in the Challenge Cup next week.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald