Millwey pull off fifth win on trot

PUBLISHED: 10:00 22 October 2008 | UPDATED: 22:30 15 June 2010

MILLWEY Rise notched up their fifth win on the trot when they beat league higher opposition Charmouth in the second round of the Daisy Hutchings Cup 3-1.

MILLWEY Rise notched up their fifth win on the trot when they beat league higher opposition Charmouth in the second round of the Daisy Hutchings Cup 3-1. Millwey boss Ian Hall said: "It was the biggest game of the season so far for us, a bit of a needle match as we lost several players during the close season to Charmouth. "But we snuffed them out. They only really had two chances, one in the first half from former Axminster Town player Sam Dibling and one which resulted in a goal from Mark Vaughan in the second." Playing down the slope Mike Knight put Millwey ahead and, with Paul Otreba dominating central midfield, Charmouth's attack was pretty much shut down. Mark Jenkins scored off a corner and Knight added another goal after an hour - chesting the ball down then volleying it into the net. It was good to see Phil Garrett back in action and Hall is hoping to unveil another signing next week. Millwey Reserves were involved in a 10 goal thriller with Netherbury - coming out on top with six. But it was a you score, we score scenario for much of the match, level pegging right up to 4-4 when Netherbury, having no subs, started to tire. Millwey brought on fresh legs - Mark Pike and David Guy - on the wings and it tipped the game their way. Adam Phillips, Matt Beechey and Gary Venn, 3 were the scorers. Venn got the Man of the Match vote for his work ethic. Farway United really had all their attention focussed on the evening's 60th anniversary event - see story right - and went out of the Coronation Cup 2-0 to Misterton away. "We didn't deserve to win, or draw, but we played ok, and defended well. We are just lacking something. We aren't suddenly a bad side, we just can't score more goals than our opponents!" said manager Andy Baily. Misterton scored with 15 minutes to go and, said Baily, if points had been at stake instead of the possibility of extra time, Farway might have put more effort in. In the event, Misterton snatched another goal late on. Phil Woodley had a good game in goal. Farway Reserves' boss Rodney Lock wanted to draw a veil over his side's 3-0 defeat at home to Fivehead. Lyme Regis go through to the semi finals of the Coronation Cup after beating Merriott Rovers away. Lyme won 2-1 with goals from Joe Bond and Ben Morgan, both youngsters volleying their goals home, one in each half. Malcolm Darby had a good first half before having to go off injured and Ashley Caddy was out of this world in goal. "The side rallied well and showed great team spirit," said manager Rob Thom. LYME Reserves lost to Thorncombe 3-1, all three of their opponents' goals being scored in the first 15 minutes. One was a defensive error and another an own goal from Ali Rattenbury. Gerard Hitchcock, Man of the Match once again, scored for Lyme. Lyme Bantams beat Hinton 5-0, their side benefiting from the experience of scorers Simon Flux, 1, and Ady Porter, 2. Youngsters Charlie Prendeville and Lee Fifer got the others and the side seem to be growing in confidence now they are boosted by a few older players.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald