Millwey Rise lose 11-goal cup tie thriller

PUBLISHED: 13:00 16 September 2018

Football on pitch

Football on pitch

(c) Image Source

Millwey Rise went out of the Devon Senior Cup, but not before they had played a full part in a contest that ran for the full 90 minutes and extra-time with South Devon League side Babbacombe Corinthians edging their way into the next round of the competition after a 6-5 win, writes Dick Sturch.

From the minute it started, to the end of normal time this game kept everyone on the edge of their seats.

Five minutes in, from a flowing move through midfield, Sam Burke tucked away a header from a cross provided by James Rocket. Three minutes later Babbacombe were level when some woeful defending allowed them to score. Twelve minutes gone and Alex Rocket calmly walked the length of the pitch to blast a free kick into the bottom corner of the net to put Millwey in front. The 20th minute saw the visitors again level only for a clever through-ball from Jack Farrant to be converted by Nathan Womersley to put Millwey back in front.

Then, three minutes from the interval Bret Garner made an outstanding save only to see all his good work undone when Babbacombe scored right on the whistle to level.

Immediately after the re-start a James Rocket cross drifted past the visitor’s keeper to put ‘Rise’ 4-3 ahead.

This lead lasted barely five minutes before a Babbacombe corner was headed firmly past Garner to level the score once more. Rocket then again got on the score sheet with a looping shot that dipped under the bar and the home side were again in front at 5-4.

The visitors then went close, hitting the crossbar, but then Millwey hit a purple patch. First Sam Burke saw his shot curl just round the post. Then from a corner the ball bounced around the visitor’s goalmouth without an attacker able to get a foot to it. The next action saw a powerful shot from Womersley hit the foot of the goalpost.

Millwey Rise manager Dan Murnane then brought on all three substitutes, introducing Wayne Wadden, Fraser Beament and Harry Thresher to replace Nick Land, Haydn Lewis and Danny Larcombe.

Garner in the Millwey goal was then called upon to make a flying save and then bravely smothered the ball under pressure, but disaster struck when an own goal allowed Babbacombe to equalise 5-5.

They then wasted the opportunity of going ahead when they missed a penalty. With 10 minutes remaining a player from each team were shown red cards for a coming together. With no further goals the game went into extra time.

Both teams at this stage were showing signs of exhaustion and the only significant activity in the final thirty minutes was Babbacombe scoring the winner to scrape through 5-6 the only time Millwey had been behind throughout the match.

For the ‘Rise’ Womersley and Burke ran themselves into the ground chasing the game to the end. Alex Rocket was solid in the middle of defence. Garner again showed what a vital acquisition he is in goal but the Man of the Match award, sponsored by Axminster Printing Co Ltd, was James Rocket for his two goals and all round effort.

On Saturday (September 22), Lyme Regis Reserves are the visitors to Cloakham Lawns (3pm).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald