Millwey Rise Reserves beaten in game switched to a drier surface

PUBLISHED: 21:00 03 February 2018 | UPDATED: 21:00 03 February 2018

Football flag. Ref exsp 7256-33-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

Football flag. Ref exsp 7256-33-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn


Millwey Rise Reserves managed to beat the weather and play their Macron League Division Eight game against Tedburn St Mary Reserves when the fixture was switched to the G3 surface at the LED Axminster Leisure Centre, writes Dick Sturch.

With a heavy backlog of matches, switching the game at least means it is one less fixture to be squeezed into what is looking an increasingly busy end of season period!

The visitors started off on the front foot and really throughout the game were the dominant side. It took until the 15th minute before they went into the lead. The ball had ‘ping ponged’ round the home side’s area until finally falling to Steve Millington who struck a strong shot past Terry Male.

The visitors then went on to squander two glaring opportunities to increase their lead! They controlled most of the midfield play and in the 25th minute after some intricate passing movements in the Millwey half, Si Durrant added the finishing touch to increase the Tedburn lead to 2-0.

The home side were awarded a penalty for a very rash challenge by their keeper. Unfortunately for Millwey, he made amends by saving Shane Featherstone’s penalty kick. In the final minutes of the half Alex Rocket gave his team some hope when, from some 25 yards out, he unleashed a savage, dipping shot which caught Tedburn;s keeper off his line to leave the half time score 2-1 to the visitors.

In the opening minutes of the second period Tedburn’s forwards were guilty of again firing wide when scoring seemed much easier.

Terry Male was kept busy in the ‘Rise’ goal and made some excellent interventions to prevent the score being even greater. In a rare Millwey foray Featherstone’s goal bound shot was pushed away by the keeper who then repeated the performance to save Harry Thresher’s follow up strike.

After these efforts the home side launched several more attacks which fizzled out in front of goal. Tedburn increased their lead mid-way through the half when Si Durrant scored his second with a low shot into the corner of the net giving Male no chance and left the final score 3-1 in Tedburn’s favour.

Although Millwey kept fighting to reduce the arrears, their attempts always broke down on a stubborn visitor’s defence. Alex Rocket was a tower of strength in the back four and Wayne Jenkins never gave up trying to urge the team forward.

Next Saturday (February 10), Millwey Rise first team are at home to Hemyock and the Reserves are away at Pinhoe with kick-off in both matches being 3pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald