Millwey stick to their guns

PUBLISHED: 09:00 12 March 2008 | UPDATED: 21:36 15 June 2010

MILLWEY rose to the challenge of Chard, winning 1-0 away in a match that was a credit to the club, writes Lee Glanville.

MILLWEY rose to the challenge of Chard, winning 1-0 away in a match that was a credit to the club. Playing up the slope Gary Venn was put through and scored on the second attempt, his first shot having been parried. Chard tried to get back into the game with a succession of dangerous throws into the box but the Millwey defence and keeper Perham stood firm. As the half went on Chard became frustrated and were more physical but Millwey were not intimidated and, after 35 minutes, Venn smashed a shot against the bar. Manager Ian Hall said: To be honest I thought he should have scored but he is always in the area to get chances. I thought we might need another goal but that proved not to be the case." Hall changed Mark Jenkins from centre forward to left back to Hoare up front. "Hoare has shown fantastic attitude all season, having been on the bench early on. He ran down the Chard defence at every opportunity. "This game puts us in a good promotion position. Today was all about attitude and aptitude of the players and they were all a credit to themselves and the club," he added. Uplyme had a great win, beating Combe St Nicholas 4-1. Farway Reserves were on song against Thorncombe at home, winning 6-0. Greg McCollom got an early score on the board, rounding the keeper with just a minute on the clock. A Graham Barton corner set up manager Paul Salmon for the second goal. After the break Farway went from strength to strength. McCollom got the ball rolling again with another goal, Chris Legg, 2, and John Matteson scored the others. In fact only three of the Reserves' squad have yet to score this season - and one of those is the goalkeeper. Lyme Bantams are on target for promotion at the very least, beating bottom of the league Hawkchurch 5-1. They were 3-0 up by half time with goals from James Maddox - who was set up by Neil Mackenzie - and Mackenzie added two of his own. Rory Holmes and a free kick from Mark Taylor made it 5-1, the Hawks having converted a penalty. Phil Hodder, ex Lyme and Uplyme player, was thanked for refereeing at late notice. They play Millwey at the weekend. Millwey Reserves lost 1-0 at home to Charmouth Reserves - a bit of a shock as the Axminster side had won 6-1 on their last clash. Manager Stuart Ellis said: "They have strengthened a lot since then." Millwey had a strong squad out but were 0-0 at half time in a hard-fought, well contested match. "When they broke away, Millwey just switched off and watched them take a chance," Ellis added. "I think Charmouth will upset a few teams now." Millwey have a crucial clash against Lyme Bantams next week - Bantams have points in the bag, Millwey have games in hand. Lyme Regis went out of the Crewkerne Charity Cup 3-0 in the semi final, losing away at South Petherton. The sides cancelled each other out in the first half but from the second half restart Petherton were sharper out of the blocks and were always on top. Neil Baker had had to come off at the break with an eye injury and Lyme missed his pace up front. Petherton deserved to win and Lyme hope that Saturday's match against Perry Street survives the weather as they have a Challenge Cup final away at Forton on Good Friday to look forward to. Back in the Premier League Farway lost 5-1 to Winsham and manager Andrew Baily is still trying to work out why! They trailed 2-1 at the break but had been playing against the wind and slope and were quietly confident at the break. Dan Williams had scored a cracker and they had two or three other clear cut chances before half time. Winsham's goals were a goalmouth scramble and a flying 35 yard free kick rocket, However, a soft goal conceded immediately after the restart and another header saw Farway reeling. at 4-1. They had a penalty chance but missed it and then Phil Woodley in goal saved a Winsham spot kick. Lyme Regis Reserves were understrength due to not wanting to undermine the Bantams' league challenge, and they lost 2-1 at home to Chard Rangers. Darren Paul came off the bench and scored and Lyme also missed several other chances.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald