Player walks as Lyme ko'd in Coronation Cup

PUBLISHED: 11:30 19 November 2008 | UPDATED: 22:39 15 June 2010

LYME Regis were disappointed to be knocked out of the Coronation Cup by Combe St Nicholas and even more disappointed that the score was 3-0.

LYME Regis were disappointed to be knocked out of the Coronation Cup by Combe St Nicholas and even more disappointed that the score was 3-0. "The score really didn't do us justice," said boss Rob Thom. "We did well and had a lot of possession straight from the start." Dominic Rowe missed a couple of headers in the first 10 minutes and Crewkerne scored from their first foray into Lyme territory when the ball took a wicked bounce over Mark Batey for their striker to run on and score. Crewkerne came into the game then and Ashley Caddy was called on to make a couple of saves before Lyme regained their composure. They had shots cleared off the line before giving away a free kick on the edge of the area from which Crewkerne scored. So Lyme went in 2-0 down at half time. After the break, they changed formation, taking off Joe Bond, bringing on Will Thompson and moving Andrew Hitchcock back to centre of midfield. Things improved but the final ball and cross were just not happening. A defender disagreed with a comment made by Thom and stormed off the pitch, sending the team into disarray for a while. "It will be dealt with by the club," said Thom, who didn't want to name said player. Luckily he still had a defender on the bench so he was brought on and the side had a good header go wide and several scrambled efforts nearly there before Crewkerne broke again and scored their third. "Technically they were more clinical but we were bitterly disappointed as we created good chances," Thom reflected. Things were better for Lyme RESERVES who beat Chard Rangers 3-2 on a very sticky pitch. Alex Hughes put the side 1-0 up by half time, a second half Ali Rattenbury penalty and Fred Thompson strike put Lyme 3-0 up. However, they very nearly lost the points as Chard stormed back to 3-2 with 10 minutes still left on the clock. They had chances to snatch at least a point but Jed Whittington made some cracking saves and Adam Clark had a solid game in defence. LYME BANTAMS lost 1-0 to Combe St Nicholas B in a rare outing on the Davey Fort pitch, both the other two teams being away. They were lacking both firepower and a bit of passion but held Combe to 0-0 at half time. Combe scored with 10 minutes to go. There was still no good news for bottom club FARWAY UTD who lost 2-1 away to Crewkerne. This was a good effort though against top side Crewkerne who are currently running away with the league, being eight points clear, and suggests that they are not that far away from where they should be in terms of performance. Farway have, however, only played six league fixtures and have the chance of a 'giant killing' next week when they play Merriott.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald