Rise play to strengths in Venn Cup battle

PUBLISHED: 10:00 02 April 2008 | UPDATED: 21:41 15 June 2010

LYME REGIS had their games rained off, along with countless others, and still face 11 matches in the last six weeks of the season.

LYME REGIS had their games rained off, along with countless others, and still face 11 matches in the last six weeks of the season. They are expecting midweek games to start next week. The Reserves were disappointed with their 2-0 defeat away to Netherbury, having been buoyed up by last week's win over Misterton. Manager Robin Townsend even changed the formation after just 20 minutes, and subbed a player - saying he had the choice of 11 to sub - but really they were restricted to just a couple of chances in the second half. The reason for the early changes was that they were 2-0 down inside 12 minutes - the first when Ali Rattenbury conceded a penalty and the second when two defenders had a communication problem. The Bantams finish their season next week with a clash against Chard Rangers when the league title could also be up for grabs depending on Millwey Rise Reserves' results. They won 3-1 at home to Hawkchurch, but went 1-0 down thanks to a mix up between keeper and defenders which saw the ball fall to the Hawks' striker. But Rory Holmes came to the rescue, scoring two goals, the first a real cracker, and Tom Bond sealed the win with a goal with just 10 minutes left on the clock. There wasn't going to be many goals in this thrilling and passionate Jack Venn Cup semi final between two of the better teams from division two - Millwey Rise and West and Middle Chinnock - in boggy conditions. Millwey started down the slope first half, with some strong tackles from both sides. Mark Vaughan picked up a booking after 15 minutes, and one of WMC's after 30 minutes. Both teams had chances to score, but under the conditions they were hard to execute. WMC scored after 35 minutes, when their nippy centre-forward managed to squeeze one past Dave Perham. After the break, Millwey, playing down the slope, had the lion's share of possession. Midfielders Callum Garrett, Shane Featherstone and Paul Otreba had the upper hand throughout. Millwey had a succession of corners which were delivered well by Matt Beechy all game. One saw a rewarding goal from Wayne Waddon, who managed to bundle the ball into the net. Into extra time and Millwey had a few half chances in the first half, but were unable to capitalise, mainly due to the conditions. WMC only had one chance in the whole of extra time, from a free-kick which was headed in by a Chinnock forward. Manager Herman Hall said: "We lost the game 2-1 against a very good team, but the lads have come out with a lot of credit, and have done themselves and the club proud. " Next week it is back to the league against Ilminster.In Division Two Uplyme beat Drimpton 5-1 - the best of several recent victories over the club. Manager Rodney Rowe said: "We have managed to attract some extra players and have a fairly useful outfit now and it shows." Conditions were good for this match with the rain stopping before kickoff and both sides, and the referee, played the wet ground well. Uplyme were 3-0 up by half time with the wind at their backs and the slope in their favour, thanks to two goals in the last five minutes of the half. "I thought we probably needed to be at least that far ahead," said Rowe. Uplyme went on to control the second half as well. There were four goals from Gavin Fowler and one from Tim Edwards. Man of the match was Fowler's strike partner James Beddowes who was responsible for setting up the goals Fowler scored. With nothing at stake, Farway Reserves put their names into a hat to decide what position they would play against Charmouth Reserves. "It was great fun," said manager Paul Salmon. And that was even though Farway's goal was scored by Charmouth in a 3-1 defeat! Men of the match were forward Matt Grant who played centre back and keeper Euan Carnelly who played up front. "Our last match is at home in a couple of weeks' time," said Salmon, who is hoping that the side can keep their 100 per cent home record.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald