Seaton's white knuckle ride

PUBLISHED: 10:00 15 October 2008 | UPDATED: 22:27 15 June 2010

Seaton Town flew the area's footballing standard higher than anybody else as they moved into the third round of the Raddon Vending County Premier Cup -they won a penalty shoot out at the expense of Plymouth Parkway.

Seaton Town flew the area's footballing standard higher than anybody else as they moved into the third round of the Raddon Vending County Premier Cup -they won a penalty shoot out at the expense of Plymouth Parkway.It was a real white knuckle ride for the Colyford Road faithful who saw their side twice lead and then, with effectively nine and a half players on the pitch in the extra half hour, they shipped a 118th minute goal to take the tie to a penalty shoot out. When the spot kick sequence reached 3-3 after five kicks each it went to sudden death.Centre half Mark Perham placed his penalty with precision and the Parkway's sixth hit an upright and Town were through!The post match talk was all about the visitors' 17-year-old glovesman - Josh Oak, watch out for that name if this performance is anything to go by. "It was as good a display of goal keeping I have seen at any ground and any level," said Town boss Mark Watkins and, for the first time in recent memory, the Cottam Northcott Man of the Match award was handed over to an opposition player with young Oak taking the award back to Plymouth with him.Bradley Groves had fired the hosts ahead but the teams were level by the break and it was not until the first period of extra time that Jamie Poynton blasted home a spot kick to again put Town ahead. That late equaliser followed and the penalty shot out.Ollie Morgan saw his kick saved and Parkway netted theirs to take the early advantage but then Mike Wheeler calmly slotted home as did 16-year-old Josh French whilst Parkway's second kick was wide of the target and their third was superbly kept out by Dave Perham. Robbie Fellingham, 16, then netted and even though Parkway's fourth was also dispatched it left Ben Ede to score and take Town through. Ede's effort was saved and Parkway took their lifeline, netted their fifth and final kick, taking the game to sudden death. Poynton smashed his home, Parkway hit an upright and Town celebrated. A delighted Watkins said: "It was no more than we deserved. We'd surely have won it in the 90 minutes but for that extraordinary display from their keeper." SEATON Town 3rds also flew the club flag high and proud as they moved into the next round of the Devon Intermediate Cup with an extra time win over Amory Argyle. Jeremy Rostron and Asa Sandman netted in normal time and Bill Yeoman won it in the extra half hour.Upottery are another side still flying the area flag in the county competitions. They made progress in the Devon Senior Cup, beating Dunkeswell Rovers 3-1. With boss Merv Sawyer on a trek across the highlands with club chairman Mike Kellow and their respective 'better halves', the seat of power was handed to assistant boss George Steele and he oversaw a fine performance which showed the gulf in class between the sides. Dan Broome bagged a first half brace to put the villagers in front and, in the second half, Jake Phillips added another. Steele said: "I think the difference in class was there for all to see. Dunkeswell played their part but the younger side gradually wore them down and finished deserved winners. Next up for Upottery is a return to Senior One action and a meeting with Alphington, a game of which Steele says: " It's another of those games where we are coming up against a side we know precious little about. Every game brings a new experience for us, but we'll prepare well and be ready."Upottery had gone into the game with a bare 11 and even had to call Paul Drew out of retirement. He was more than happy to help out and indeed made an excellent contribution to the win.The Dunks were also limited in terms of selection and also only having bare 11. Danny Drummond netted their goal and, on Saturday, Rod Hill's side travel to Topsham Town Reserves. Phil Patterson (knee) and Richard Berry (working), both missed the cup game but will be back for the match at the Tops. "We ought to be capable of bringing something back from that one," said a confident Hill.Feniton and Beer Albion met for the second time this early season and once again it was the Blues who triumphed, winning 5-3. The contest turned into a personal triumph for one of Acland Park's favourite sons, Andy Carnell, who cracked a hat-trick, his haul including a brace of penalties. Jonathan French also netted and the other Feniton goal was credited as an 'own goal' although Andy Jones was claiming, at the very least, an assist.Blues' boss Dave Carnall said: "I missed the game but Sean Devine assures me it was one of those 'you score, we score' contests. Apparently we looked red hot up top and pretty sloppy at the back, but the three points are very gratefully banked."The Fishermen's goals came from Justin Adkin, James Melville and Luke Bartlett, but Beer boss Phil Crabb was very up beat post match. He said: "We knew before a ball was kicked that this season was going to present problems. With the number and quality of departures in the close season it was always going to be tough for the die hard club lads to step up from Reserve football to Premier Division standard each week and the five division climb is simply too big. "But we have a side with big hearts and this game summed up our current lack of any sort of recognisable luck."Crabb pointed to the fact that, of the Feniton goal tally, two were penalties, an own goal and one that was a direct result of a miss hit back pass.On Saturday, Feniton host Sidmouth Town: "A massive game for us if we want to cement a top six berth," said Carnell, who has only the suspended Richard Austin missing, whilst the Fishermen travel to Budleigh Salterton. "We'll soldier on and perhaps our luck will change," said Crabb who can welcome back defensive duo Phil Arborne and Danny Rowson, who both missed the Feniton game.Offwell Rangers slipped out of the Devon Senior Cup beaten by the odd goal in three by visiting Ordulph Arms. Ten minutes before the break Karl Allen was on the end of a sweeping team move which put his side ahead. But the visitors replied almost immediately and went into the break with a 2-1 advantage.The second half served up some exciting end-to-end play but no further goals. Rangers' boss Nick Ogden said: "It was an entertaining game with some decent football played by both sides. I felt we were unlucky, especially during the first half when we bossed the game without ever getting reward for our enterprise. Every week we are showing improvement, and if we can maintain the current level of improvement I am sure we will prove to be a handful for many sides in our league."The match sponsors, Yarrow Antiques, to whom Ogden and Rangers are very grateful for their continued support, chose Darren Whitmarsh to be the Man of the Match. On Saturday Ogden's side face table topping Phoenix.Axminster Town Reserves had reasons aplenty to be cheerful on Saturday night after they confidently put Exmouth Amateurs Reserves out of the Devon Senior Cup with a 3-2 win.No cup joy for Colyton as they slipped to a second defeat in three weeks at Witheridge. The Mid Devon side beat them 2-0 to end the Colyton interest in the Devon Senior cup this term.Honiton Town's winless start to the Senior Two season is over after they recorded a 4-0 Mountbatten Park win over Dawlish Town. Rich Newby gave Town a half time advantage whilst Mark Bowles and Dave Woodman netted second half goals. Manager Richard Ayres said: "We'd spoken before the game about the need for disciplined defending and the fact that if they walked off with a clean sheet then they'd open their account for the season so, in all areas, it was a job well done. Hopefully, we can use this win as a springboard for the rest of the season."Town face the same side this coming weekend and Ayres is hoping to be able to give a debut to Robin Hunter who has turned out for the club's second team and earned sufficient plaudits to be given his first team bow.In the league Axmouth United made a belated, but victorious start, to their Senior Football home campaign as they banked three Senior Five points with a 3-1 win over visiting Broadclyst Social Club. The visitors took an early lead but United player boss James Teed rifled in a free kick and then Matt Hancock evaded a number of challenges before netting from 25 yards to send United in 2-1 to the good at the break and a second half penalty from John Cooper sealed the win. Next up for upwardly mobile United is a meeting with Sampford Peverell on Saturday and a confident Teed says: "Having seen their results I am confident that we have the wherewithal to bank more points on Saturday."Twelve months ago United were in the Intermediate Divisions and they have made a competent start to life in the Senior section of the Devon & Exeter League.Beer Reserves served up a second successive win with a single goal success at Awliscombe. Danny Peach netted the only goal of the game and post match Beer boss John Moughton said: "I'll accept that we have yet to play some of the 'bigger and stronger' sides but we are doing what we have to do. Sure there are harder tests to come but for now I am very content with the points tally rising."Feniton Reserves lost by the odd goal in three at the hands of AFC Sidford at Amory Park and Honiton Town's REserves lost 6-2 at Wellington 3rds.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald