Targetman Cooper adopts Seaton strip

PUBLISHED: 09:00 10 December 2008 | UPDATED: 22:46 15 June 2010

BEER ALBION slipped to a 5-1 defeat at Topsham Town but the Fishermen's boss Phil Crabb felt that, although out played in the first half, his side battled well after the break.

BEER ALBION slipped to a 5-1 defeat at Topsham Town but the Fishermen's boss Phil Crabb felt that, although out played in the first half, his side battled well after the break. Crabb said: "We did not play particularly well in the first half but I thought after the break we produced enough to give us plenty to work on. It is hard graft just now, we are thin on the ground in terms of numbers and certainly operating with the bare bones but the players proved, especially in the second half, they have a pride and passion about them that may yet be sufficient to get us out of what is a precarious situation."Justin Adkin netted the goal which was the very least the side's second half show deserved, and Martin Adkin was in great form at the back.On Saturday Crabb's team are able to enjoy the comforts of home with the Furzebrake visit of Heavitree Social United.The Beer boss said: "There remains a great spirit and, if we can get a better all round availability, we may be able to work our way out of this spot in the New Year."Feniton went down for the first time under the stewardship of Sean Devine when Newtown left Acland Park with the points courtesy of a single goal. There's a local derby now for the Blues who make the short trip on Saturday to Otterton.Seaton Town picked up a point from a visit to Sidbury United and boss Mark Watkins was happy with that return as he said: "Given that Sidbury beat us 2-0 earlier in the campaign, I'd have taken 1-1 pre-match. I thought we started poorly, then got ourselves well into the contest, looked good value for a long time but then they came back and, at the death, were the side looking the more likely."After looking disjointed in the early exchanges, Town suddenly took the lead in the sixth minute. Dave Clark produced a mazy dribble, George Moore contributed a number of drag backs and tricks before Matty Rowson rifled the ball home. Thereafter the two sides traded chance for chance but there was no further goal scoring for the remainder of the half. Again Town made a sluggish start to the second half before battling back into the contest. On 57 minutes Dave Perham appeared to stub his toe taking a goal kick but the ball still reached the 'D' of the centre circle only for the host's Matt Rasmussen to spank it straight back over Perham's head and into the net for the equaliser.Moments after the goal, the home side were reduced to 10 men and, as is often the way in such situations, it was the team of ten who became more dominant but Perham and his steady back four stayed solid.Watkins said: "I am pleased with 1-1. I thought, despite a couple of sluggish starts, we played some great stuff and a point at Sidbury means our unbeaten run continues and now I can't wait for the next one."It's an East Devon derby on Saturday with the visit to Colyford Road of Upottery when new signing John Cooper will pull a Town shirt on for the first time. Cooper has signed from Axmouth United and previously he also served Beer Albion in the Premier Division. Town boss Watkins is delighted with the capture saying: "He (Cooper) is going to prove a great signing. He is a genuine target man and leads the line well and could be a key player for us."Honiton Town players and manager Richard Ayres were disappointed with the side's 2-1 Mountbatten Park defeat at the hands of Newtown, but upbeat about the performance. Ayres said: "I told the lads after the game that, whilst I don't like to lose games, such occasions are made all the more bearable when the team produce the sort of performance Town did in this game. I could not have asked more of them and the fact that we didn't win, or at the very least take something from the match, is simply one of those things."Town trailed 1-0 when Sam Farmer ran clear to slot home the equaliser, only for the linesman, who was on his mobile phone at the time, to raise his flag for offside. The decision infuriated Ayres who said: "Farmer was adamant that he had read the line and made the right run. How a lino can make a judgement when on the mobile phone is beyond me, that's certainly a novel one in my book."The two sides went in with that one goal between them but the Exeter side doubled their lead before Darren Witt got Town back into the contest. However, Witt's goal was to be the final score of the game and Newtown banked maximum points against Town for the second time this season, a fact not lost on Ayres who said: "We have outplayed them twice this term and got nothing out of the matches and that is disappointing. "Despite having the lion's share of the ball and a near monopoly on chances, we got beat, but that performance was certainly more then good enough for me."This coming weekend Town travel across East Devon to meet Lympstone. Ayres said: "Lympstone always seem to do well against us and it's a particular record I'd like to see addressed. The meeting at our place was a physical affair and I suspect this will be no different. I'd like to think we could reproduce what we served up last weekend and, if we do, it'll take a good team to beat us."Upottery went out of the Devon Senior Cup, beaten 2-0 at Buckland Athletic, but even the Newton Abbot side were quick to applaud the part the villagers had played in the game. Boss Merv Sawyer said: "We actually played very well and I have no complaints about either our approach or application. If we had a problem in the game it was that all important element of creating and taking chances. But for large parts of this game we were very much 'in it'. I cannot complain about the shift the lads put in."Jack Trevisick proved a very able deputy for injured regular glovesman Adrian Coombe who was unable to take his regular place owing to a fractured thumb, but he was summoned from the bench to make a second half appearance on the pitch.This Saturday sees Sawyer lead the side across East Devon to Seaton Town and the villagers' boss is in no doubt as to the importance of the game. He said: "The Seaton game is huge in the context of our league position. Sure there is plenty of mileage left in this campaign but the cold hard fact is that, for the first time in many seasons, we are faced with accepting that we are pitched into a battle to avoid slipping out of a Division we have worked ultra hard to get into. I see this game at Colyford Road as being one we really ought to be thinking we can bring something back from."Trevisick will continue between the posts as Coombe continues to nurse his thumb injury. Sawyer says: "Jack (Trevisick) has not let us down when he has taken over from Adrian. He looks more and more confident as he racks up the appearances."Offwell Rangers were engaged in the day's only Senior Four game to be played and it saw them bank a point from a visit to St Martin's.Karl Allen fired Rangers ahead at Exminster with a thunderbolt of a shot from fully 40 yards but the hosts hit back and went into the half time break with a 2-1 advantage.Rangers grew stronger in the second half and Allen fired his side level at 2-2 from the penalty spot. There were chances after this at both ends but no further goals were added, leaving Rangers' boss Nick Ogden to say: "It was a good game and one played in a superb spirit. A draw was the right result on the day and that first goal of the contest by Karl Allen was surely as good as you will see on any pitch, at any standard. "We had players stepping up from the club's reserve side and they all did well. Joe McCollum was outstanding at the back and he warranted sharing the Man of the Match award with Paul Dudley.Next up for Ogden and his side is Saturday's visit from Westexe, of which the boss says: "If we show no signs of complacency then I am very confident that we will claim the points. "This particular group of players are very special and I have to say are also a real pleasure to be involved with."Seaton Town 3rds shared eight goals with hosts Otterton in an Intermediate Four game. Ashley Poynton netted his first of the season and there was a double for Josh Stunell whilst Asa Sandman, who seems to find the net in every game at the moment, also scored as a thrilling contest in which both sides gave their all, finished 4-4.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald