The buck stops with me says Hall

PUBLISHED: 10:00 28 January 2009 | UPDATED: 22:58 15 June 2010

THE weather is still playing havoc with the area football fixtures - now it has gone back to waterlogging.

THE weather is still playing havoc with the area football fixtures - now it has gone back to waterlogging and Lyme Regis 1sts lost their home match to South Petherton this weekend. The Reserves therefore had a pretty strong line up for their Arthur Gage Cup match against Thorncombe but had to go to extra time to go through. They had, in fact, dominated the second half and looked to be going home 4-3 winners, but a late penalty sent the teams into extra time. Two goals from Alex Hughes and sub Ben Morgan made certain. Earlier strikes had been from Ben Whittington, 2, Mark Hodder and Joe Bond. Lyme BANTAMS got a point at South Beauchamp Reserves and were pleased with that but they could have secured all three. Dan Prendeville scored first for a 1-0 lead, Shepton levelling just after the break. Darren Shotton put Lyme back in charge with 20 minutes to go and a minute later it looked as if it was all going their way when one of the Shepton players was sent off for a hefty two footed challenge. But they were a bit naive and Shepton scored with 10 minutes to go. Lyme hit the post, Shotton had a near miss and they had a penalty appeal for handball turned down as the ref was unsighted. Lyme are currently appealing a league ruling that may put them out of the Dorset Cup for playing an ineligible player. "We were unaware of the rule which only affects us as a club in the competition and would rule out 24 of our players," said boss Rob Thom.Farway were in dire straits in the player stakes at the weekend with only five regular first teamers available, the rest away skiing or involved in the Williams family party! Manager Andy Baily raided the Reserves and went to in form Combe ready to battle. They did their best, playing up the infamous slope first and only conceding a goal on 40 minutes. As they shaded the match at that point Baily was looking forward to the second half, but they didn't go on to produce the same form. Five weeks without a game hasn't helped them and they conceded two late goals, one on 85 minutes, having brought on their subs to try and push for a leveller. Darren Cooke was the pick of the elevated players but there was no lack of effort on Farway's part and, as Baily pointed out, they probably would have struggled at Combe with a full complement. After a run of 10 matches unbeaten, Millwey Rise's bubble has burst and they lost their third game in a row - this time a Tommy Tabberer Cup match against Dowlish, 2-1. "Dowlish won because they were willing to roll up their sleeves and have a scrap for it in the second half," said manager Ian Hall who admits he has struggled to fill the void left in midfield by the injured Paul Otreba. In fact the side hasn't won since he sustained his injury! "My assistant Jason Farrant seems to have come up with a good idea though so we are going to run with that at the weekend and see if it works," he added. It was 0-0 at half time, Millwey having played up the Dowlish slope, but they paid for lack of finishing quality. Gary Venn scored but it was too late in the day to save the match. "We can't afford to slip up now," Hall said. "We just need to freshen up a bit. I realise the buck stops with me!"Uplyme won their second round Tommy Tabberer match 7-0 against Ilminster Town Colts.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald