Three in a row for Honiton town

PUBLISHED: 09:00 29 October 2008 | UPDATED: 22:33 15 June 2010

P2059-44-08AW Seaton (green and White) V Colyton (red and white). pic by Alex Walton

P2059-44-08AW Seaton (green and White) V Colyton (red and white). pic by Alex Walton

Copyright Archant Ltd

Honiton Town claimed a third successive victory and a place in the 2nd round of the Bill Slee Cup with a 3-0 win over Westexe Rovers thanks to a brace from Rory Wheal and one from Mark Bowles, writes Steve Birley.

Honiton Town claimed a third successive victory and a place in the 2nd round of the Bill Slee Cup with a 3-0 win over Westexe Rovers thanks to a brace from Rory Wheal and one from Mark Bowles. Town boss Richard Ayres said: We deserved it, the first half was none too clever from our point of view, but we had a few half time words and after the break the tempo was raised and overall it was a very acceptable performance. Mark (Bowles) was outstanding throughout."FENITON slipped out of the East Devon Senior Cup beaten by a single goal at Acland Park by fellow Premier Division outfit Topsham Town.For Blues' boss Dave Carnall the defeat was once again down to one particular element of the side's performances. He said: "There's not much wrong with the general play, we are solid at the back, both combative and creative in the middle of the park but we lack that necessary composure in front of the opposition goal. The game with Topsham was typical of our play this term to date. We created a number of chances but lacked that all important confidence in the final third to either hit through the ball or perhaps even have the confidence to take a shot earlier rather than look for an extra touch."There was a painful, and to a certain degree, amusing incident during the game when Matt Kingdom limped off the pitch in the closing stages and told manager Carnall that he felt he had a problem, he removed his boot and one of his toes was clearly dislocated to such a degree that it was pointing upwards! Carnall takes up the story: "Kingdom told me he'd just be a couple of minutes whilst he went to the dressing rooms but the next contact I had with him was when he called from the Royal Devon and Exeter hospital to say that the medical people had put the dislocated toe back into place!"Ben Allen, who replaced the injured Kingdom, will probably deputise again this coming weekend when Carnall's side face Budleigh Salterton Reserves in a Premier Division clash.Feniton Reserves won 4-2 at UAU Exeter thanks to goals from Michael Ebdon, Jamie Doidge, Eliot Dyer and Trevor Anning whilst centre back David Ebdon had a fine game as the Blues second string booked a second round place in the Football Express Cup.Beer Albion slipped out of the East Devon Senior Cup, thumped 6-0 by 100 per cent St Martin's although, just the one down at the half way mark, left everyone connected with the Fishermen confident that if they could take that first half performance into their forthcoming Premier League programme, then they will soon be upwardly mobile. There was no cup joy for BEER Reserves' side as they went down by the odd goal in three to visiting Culm United Reserves. In a classic 'game of two halves', Rex Kirby put Beer ahead only for the Mid Devon side to use the elements to their advantage in the second half to score twice and win the game. There was a superb performance for Albion from the latest of the Adkin clan to play for the club - teenager Joe Adkin put in a faultless display at right back.Seaton Town were engaged in the only Senior Two game to be played at the weekend and it saw them share two goals and the points with hosts University. Town boss Mark Watkins said: "Before the game I'd certainly have settled for a point and the following day I was also happy with the point but in the immediate aftermath I couldn't help feeling we deserved a tad more for out efforts."Despite going a goal down early on Town battled back, and, after finding their feet, were deservedly level.Last year's manager Mark Rooke was the inspiration behind the overall performance and he equalised, firing home at the far post after Bradley Groves had missed a well-delivered Ben Ede corner on 26 minutes. Two minutes later Dave Perham pulled off a magnificent save to deny the Students the lead for the second time. The save, following in so quickly after the equaliser, seemed to galvanise Town and they began to take control of the contest but sadly their finishing could not match some excellent approach work. Ede and Groves both spurned inviting opportunities and, in the final minute, young Robbie Fellingham worked some left wing magic before unleashing a shot that was goalbound only for the student keeper to pull off a save worthy of the highest levels of the game.So, a fourth point of the season for Town in their fourth game but post match Watkins was thrilled to hear news from goal scorer Rooke as Watkins explained saying: "I had only asked Mark to 'help out' for this one as I know it was his decision to go and play with the Reserves. But I told him his presence in the side was such a lift for everybody around him and his personal display at sweeper was an endorsement of the fact he should be playing on a regular basis in the first team, and he agreed - so he is most certainly the first name on the next team sheet."Mike Wheeler has left Senior One Seaton Town to join the Beer Albion battle to avoid the drop from the Premier Division.Asa Sandman was amongst the goals for the third game running as he bagged a treble in SEATON Town 3rds' 4-3 win over Tedburn St Mary, Bill Yeoman got the other.Upottery were denied any action when their much anticipated East Devon Senior Cup tie with Premier side Otterton was cancelled owing to water logging at Glebe Park. Upottery boss Merv Sawyer said: "Sadly there is precious little we can do about it because to make the fundamental changes that would be needed would cost serious money." The tie will now have to be played on a Sunday date to be arranged, and so this coming weekend the villagers return to their Senior One programme with a trip to Elmore of which Sawyer says: "It's another big test for us, they are riding high in the table and we don't seem to do that well when we come up against the leading sides, but with this team you never know."Colyton continue to be upwardly mobile in Senior 3 and banked another trio of points with a 3-1 win at Seaton Town Reserves. The home side scored first when Charlie Clarke put them ahead but Colyton were level when Matt Hewer, who plays cricket for Seaton, stroked home a penalty awarded when a Town defender handled to deny a goal with impressive keeper Chris Reid beaten.The visitors then took the lead when Callum Somers outjumped everybody to send a glancing header into the net and that took Colyton into the break with the advantage. With the visiting back line of Michael Callum, Jason Webber, Wayne Waddon and Andy Dare playing some superb collective 'no nonsense' defending, the home side, who enjoyed a lot of the ball, were unable to fashion any decent chances. On the break young Somers was upended in the box and Hewer stepped up to net his second penalty and seal a 3-1 win. Another of last year's Colyton under-16s made an impressive debut.When James Richards hobbled off just 15 minutes into the contest, Erich Busby came off the bench and the youngster spent the next 75 minutes showing he was very capable of doing a regular left midfield job at this level. Somers said: "Last year's youth team really is beginning to bear first team fruit now. We deserved to win the game, one I felt was played in a wonderful spirit by two well matched sides."On Saturday Somers' side face Axminster Town Reserves in another league game.Offwell Rangers recorded their second home win and clean sheet of the season with a 4-0 victory over Tedburn St Mary. Karl Allen's goal was all that separated the sides at the break but, in the second half, Rangers increased the tempo and scored three more through Liam Spiller, Jack Knight and a superb curler from Lewis Couch. Boss Nick Ogden said: "We have played better and got no reward this season but in the second half I felt we controlled the contest with a good mix of football. To keep a clean sheet is something to behold at this level."Jordan Stickland, who played his best game to date in the Rangers' colours, was rightly named the Man of the Match by match sponsor Jim Goddard. Next for Ogden is a trip to Newton St Cyres where the boss hopes the side can pick up their first away points of the campaign.Rockbeare Rangers made light work of Hemyock's reserve side with an excellent 5-0 victory in the Geary Cup. Rob Langmaid notched his second goal in as many outings whilst other scores came from Jamie Thomas, Si Edhouse, club record scorer Bryn Lister and debutant Stefano Ferrari. Post match the star man award went to defender Paul Chapman who played a major role in the defensive unit going through a second successive 90 minutes without shipping a goal. The Rooks are still unbeaten in the league this term, have made progress in both cups and sit in the top half of the Lucozade Sport Performance League.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald