Upottery Reserves roar back into action with fine win at Cranbrook

PUBLISHED: 21:36 12 February 2018 | UPDATED: 21:36 12 February 2018

Upottery FC. Ref mhsp 07-18TI 7656. Picture: Terry Ife

Upottery FC. Ref mhsp 07-18TI 7656. Picture: Terry Ife


Upottery Reserves made light of the fact they had not played for seven weeks when they reversed their ‘home’ Macron League Division Six meeting with Cranbrook – switching the game to the home of their opponents – and recorded a terrific 4-0 victory.

It was the home side who looked ‘out of touch’ as their lethargic start was punished by Upottery and, from an early corner, captain Adam Retter touched the ball home to give his side the lead.

The early advantage was swiftly doubled when, following some slick link-up play, Cody Tratt-Skinner provided the assist for Owen McCreadie-Taylor to net.

In the 20th minute, the lead was one of three goals with Harry Leisk rewarded for his hard work on the wing, and that’s the way it stayed through until half-time.

Ten minutes into the second half, a fine pass from Jake Welch found captain Retter who, in turn, teed up McCreadie-Taylor to rifle the ball home from 20 yards to make it 4-0.

The heavy underfoot conditions deteriorated further as the game wore on and both sides struggled with their footing – let alone trying to play football – but Upottery were able to close the game out in some comfort.

The Man of the Match honours were shared by Owen McCreadie-Taylor and Harry Leisk, both of whom had fine games, and the defence was also deserving of top honours for the way they worked together to ensure a clean sheet.

Upottery boss James McCreadie-Taylor said: “That was such a good all-round show, probably our best to date this season, playing as a team. All the lads worked hard and the collective reward of a clean sheet victory was just what their shift deserved.”

Upottery Reserves are without a game this Saturday (February 17).

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists