Futcher stars as Feniton U18s net point

Footie. Ref miscsp 43-17TI 2278. Picture: Terry Ife

Footie. Ref miscsp 43-17TI 2278. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Feniton Under-18s shared four goals with Okehampton in their Devon County League North meeting at Acland Park.

Feniton kept the nucleus of the same team who had performed so well in winning at Crediton the week before, with the central midfield trio of Harvey, Brook and Badcott tasked with dominating possession in what proved to be an entertaining and absorbing end-to-end contest.

Feniton took the lead just five minutes in with Sam Brook and George Harvey exchanging passes before Harvey drilled the ball home.

Undaunted by going behind, Okehampton came right back at Feniton ensuring full backs Boswell and debutant Charlie Dodd had to be at their best to thwart the opposition.

However, in lightning quick wingers Oscar Walsh and Renz Farnican linking in with striker Cody Cox, Feniton always had forward threat.

You may also want to watch:

Okehampton equalized with a thumping strike on the half hour before engine room dynamo Sam Brook took matters into his own hands with a trademark run that ended with him unleashing an unstoppable drive to once more give Feniton a 2-1 lead, which they held through to half-time.

The second half saw Okehampton pushing Feniton back in search of an equalizer and goalkeeper Sam Hill kept his team ahead with a couple of excellent saves either side of chances that went begging for Feniton to extend their lead.

Most Read

Central defensive duo Conor Hepburn and the excellent Matt Futcher were impressive throughout with Futcher unbeatable in the aerial contest with the Okehampton forwards.

Resilience was broken though, when Okehampton equalized on 70 minutes to set up a final 20 minutes that saw numerous chances spurned.

The catalyst for much of Feniton’s good approach play came from left winger Walsh, who took on Okehampton at every opportunity and was denied the goal his performance merited. Perhaps the best aspect of the game saw the introduction of Christian Whales back into competitive action after nine months out with injury and he was denied the winning goal when a late flag for offside was raised after he netted what looked like a late winner for Feniton in the 88th minute.

However, it was ruled out and both teams had to settle for a 2-2 draw.

Despite not always being at their best, Feniton maintained their good run of four games unbeaten and remain second in the table.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus